Now is it better to start with an experienced milking doe or a kid?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by russellsmom, Sep 17, 2004.

1. russellsmom

russellsmom Well-Known Member

From my last post I think that having a milk goat or two would not be that hard for me to take care of. So now my next question is is it better to start with an experienced doe since I have not milked a goat before or should I look for a kid? Just wondering if the experienced doe would be more understanding.

2. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

I went with one of each. One fresh doe and a dry yearling. Of course that didn't last since I now have 3 does and a buck. :rolleyes:

Ruth

3. dscott7972

dscott7972 Well-Known Member

I would get at least one experienced milker since it'll be trained to jump on the stand knowing their will be food for it to eat while you milk it. Finding a doe with a young kid (doe) sound like a really good prospect for you.

4. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

You may also want to consider how much milk you can use and how much butterfat you like in your milk, for those factors can influence your choice of breed.

5. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

The main advantage, I would think, to getting an experienced milker would be getting that milk sooner. My first were not, and we did just fine. It's not that hard to learn, but you do have to be patient, and it's best to have your milk stand ready ahead of time.
    If you get a kid, you're looking at a while before you get milk. Hopefully you can at least find one old enough and big enough to breed this fall, so that you can have milk by spring.
    Maybe you could find a couple of goats already bred, or a bred or milking doe + a kid.
    mary