Now Here's a Homestead--Biosphere2 For Sale

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fin29, Jan 11, 2005.

1. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Every growing zone in the world under one roof...

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/space/01/10/biosphere.sale.ap/index.html

TUCSON, Arizona (AP) -- The company that owns Biosphere 2 Center, 3.1 glass-enclosed acres designed to simulate the Earth's environment, has put the site up for sale.

The company is also selling 70 other buildings on the center's 140-acre campus 16 miles north of Tucson, said Christopher Bannon, general manager of Decisions Investment Corp. of Fort Worth, Texas.

"We'd love to see the Biosphere 2 used as a research activity, but we know that may not be the end result," he said last week...

2. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Did anyone else follow that as closely as I did? Heck, I even bought a book about it. I found it fascinating if doomed. Bet it costs an arm and a leg....and there were some inherent issues to be dealt with construction-wise weren't there? Like some places where outside creatures could get in?

Wonder what it will sell for...

3. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

Can you imagine the cost of just maintenance? Did they ever actually learn anything from it? I'll have to admit that it was interesting though.

4. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

Hmmmm. I only have 10 windows to wash in my house and I have a hard time keeping them clean at that number. Could you imagine 3.1 acres of windows :eek:

I can imagine it would be fun to have that place as a house and garden.

Mrs WHodunit

5. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Cool.

Do you remember the name of the book? I looked for one for a while, but never found anything. When it failed everyone seemed to want to NOT talk about it any longer. Too bad, it really WAS interesting!

6. havellostmywings

havellostmywings Well-Known Member

They learned that animals make a lot of manure in a small area and sugar beets grow like crazy...

I followed this also.. because I honestly believe that this an alternative growing medium...

I believe their biggest mistake was they tried to include ALL types of hemisphere types, desert, ocean, fertile, mountains, etc... I really dont feel that all of those in such a small confined area will ever work.. you need to concentrate on what is healthy for life of a certain number of species, not all... and then work from there...

They scientists had nutrition problems, because they didnt want to eat the animals, and because the season for some fruits and herbs they needed, took to long for the experiment. They were ill prepared and had no real survival training, just a scientists curiousity on how this would work.

Oh well, I have dreamed of owning the biosphere, but, cannot afford it..

Lynn in Texas

7. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

"They scientists had nutrition problems, because they didnt want to eat the animals, and because the season for some fruits and herbs they needed, took to long for the experiment. They were ill prepared and had no real survival training, just a scientists curiousity on how this would work."

Yes, that was my impression also. And, because they were not eating enough and eating the wrong foods, they got cranky and fought among themselves. They also needed more garden space for beans and grain and high-fat crops.

8. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Wow, how cool is that. I have been in that place. Was a cop in tucson when they had some vandalism! I got the really grand tour. If i were rich i would sure buy it!

9. diane

diane Well-Known Member

"If i were rich i would sure buy it!"

ditto!!! I found it absolutely fascinating. Too bad more of that sort of research isn't funded instead of war.

10. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

It was doomed because Oxygen levels plummeted and made it like they were living on a mountain...

just shows that earth's system isn't a simple as a looks...

11. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

What occurs to me is that this would make a great biosecure facility for ???

Leva