Now, HERE'S a clever idea! Cooking monthly goes commercial!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Terri, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

At www.menumakersusa.com you sign up for once a month cooking. Basically, you show up at the kitchen where everything is already chopped, cooked, and such. You assemble the meals you have paid for, put the pre-printed labels on, take everything out to your car, and leave.

It costs $179 for 12 entrees that feed 4-6. You stick them in the oven and heat it, and there is your meal.

I just thought it was a really clever idea to cater to the modern family where both work. Instead of having fast food when you get home late, have leg of lamb intead. What they are offering sounds like real food, instead of McNuggets.

I suspect that non-homesteading folks everywhere will think it is a great idea, also.

2. mommymushbrain

mommymushbrain Well-Known Member

That's not really once a month cooking, if you are only getting 12 entrees... even if those are just dinners alone, that is not even 2 weeks worth. Kind of expensive too... I can spend that same amount of money and get the full 2 weeks worth of food for 3 meals a day, including snacks and desserts.

But, if it helps wean people from their fast food habits, who am I to complain?

3. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

One of the women in our Information Services department did something very similar, "Dream Dinners," and was absolutely thrilled. She says most of the meals are big enough that there are lots of leftovers. Whoever gets home first can just pop the dinners into the oven. They get to try new things, and she sips a little wine and chats while she's cooking. Someone else does all the prep and cleanup. She loves it, and it sure beats take-out for price and nutrition.

I've said for years, you have to spend time or spend money, your choice. This does sound like a choice to spend money, but it sounds like the payoff is reasonable too.

4. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I thought it sounded like a good payoff, too.

I remember when I would come home tired and not get around to cooking. It would have been better to have something like this in where I lived. Instead, we ate too many bought mealt that were not as good or as cheap as what the lady offers,

As a middle aged woman I have an impressive array of fast dinners, but it was not always so. I would have liked this 20 years ago.