Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is the definite tang of fall in the air. That can only mean one thing: it's chili time! I'm originally from Texas and we take our chili pretty seriously. In my feeble attempts to bring the world together there isn't a chili I don't like. From eye-watering to chili-mac...it's the thought behind it that counts. So which is it for you? Hot, medium or mild? Would that be a deal breaker in a potential SO?

·
Registered
726 Posts
I don't know that it would be a deal breaker,...but I really like pretty spicy food, Mexican, Italian or whatever. I normally get a good covering of jalapenos on about any sandwich I get at Subway, if that's any indication. Having widely divergent tastes in food could be annoying or troublesome, but I think some could figure out hoy to work around it...until the weany person was able to deal with good food properly spiced. :D

·
Reluctant Adult
8,956 Posts
LOL, not a deal breaker for me, but might be for any one of my potential partners since I'm usually the family cook. Like Mal, I like it hot and spicy. My late husband suffered for it. Being from New Zealand, he was raised on the traditional roast-and-three-veg, meaning everything boiled to pieces with virtually no seasoning whatsoever added. Including salt. Since I am so partial to zippy foods, he made some significant changes. I accommodated his palate best I could, but I did keep upping the ante over time in the Highly Seasoned Department.

In short, give me hot, hot, hot -- and hope it isn't a deal breaker for any man who might contemplate joining his life with mine!

·
Registered
726 Posts
... is when I like a HOT steaming bowl of chili. With either plenty of hamburger, OR plenty of crackers. OR BOTH...
...and plenty of chili powder, crushed red pepper, and a few jalapenos on top.

A good chili size burger is also good. A friend and I used to go to a restaraunt that had good chili sizes. We'd order the chili size, with double burgers, and double jalapenos. The waitresses some times did a double take when we ordered it, and wanted to be sure she got that right. When you get a jalapeno in every bite, it was just right. That's for a chili size, doesn't work quite the same with plain chili. A point some that don't understand spicy food don't always get. It isn't about HOT, its about flavors that work together, and complement each other. It made my mouth water, literally, to write about chili size with jalapenos.

·
Premium Member
7,031 Posts
DH used to make "California" chili, with beans on the side so that as many beans as you wanted could be added to your bowl.

He also added 1/4 pound butter to his "base" chilli....I guess that was the California part of it....

Mon

Reactions: homefire2007

·
Premium Member
4,990 Posts
I lean toward the weenie side of things. :) I like flavor, but not big on heat.

I don't use straight chili powder in mine. I prefer to use taco seasoning, lots of peppers, onions, and beans. I like it a bit on the loose side to have sauce for the corn bread.

I would think that it would be the least of the deal breakers since it is easily adaptable to a person's taste after it is served. :)

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DH used to make "California" chili, with beans on the side so that as many beans as you wanted could be added to your bowl.

He also added 1/4 pound butter to his "base" chilli....I guess that was the California part of it....

Mon
I'm really, really trying to wrap my head around the butter part.....I may have to experiment with this (just to be fair) :) What was your verdict?

·
mean people suck
2,532 Posts
One of the main reasons I can tolerate winter is chili lol. Hamburger or venison burger, lots of beans (pinto and kidney), loaded with lots of chili seasoning and garlic and onions if I have one handy:). Ours is usually on the medium side. Bubba doesn't really care for stuff too spicy and Katie and I can add hot sauce to suit us. I really like to make rice to put it over and of course, we gotta have sour cream and cheese to top it with! Yummy! And it's even better the next day lol

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I like chilli any ol' way too. From mild to hot, made with either sausage, or 1/2 sausage and 1/2 hamburger, chopped up onions and gr peppers, toms. When I'm coming up on the end of a pot of chilli, I like to pour some over spaghetti for something different. And, I like some peanut butter crackers on the side with a bowl of chilli.

Deal breaker? No, not hardly! I'd just have to make a little "sissy chilli" along side my pot that has a little more heat to it. No problem.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
see....we are all easier to get along with than we thought. Maybe the world should have a chili cook-off :buds:

·
Premium Member
7,031 Posts
I'm really, really trying to wrap my head around the butter part.....I may have to experiment with this (just to be fair) :) What was your verdict?
He said it made the taste "smoother". It was good, never had better. He cooked it a LONG time at a low temperature...I believe he added the butter about halfway through. He was a DARN good cook!

Mon

Reactions: homefire2007

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
Well apparently I'm a weanie. :D

My body just can't handle the heat. I break out in a sweat, my eyes water and my tongue burns. :yuck:
Love chili though, nice and thick with lots of beef and al kinds of beans, oh and corn bread too.

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
Like mine on the spicy side, with beans...and with cornbread also. Onions, garlic, and roasted cayenne are almost always in the mix. We eat more venison chili than beef now. Oh, and chili would never be a deal breaker. That's just silly. It's not like it's something important, such as choosing the right TP.

·
Premium Member
3,512 Posts
Like mine on the spicy side, with beans...and with cornbread also. Onions, garlic, and roasted cayenne are almost always in the mix. We eat more venison chili than beef now. Oh, and chili would never be a deal breaker. That's just silly. It's not like it's something important, such as choosing the right TP.
Or deciding which way the toliet paper goes on. Over is the correct way as we all know.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Let's not even mention toothpaste.
Thought divorce was a real possibility when my husband found out I don't put the cap back on the toothpaste nine times out of ten. A habit I failed to mention when he offered to make an honest woman out of me :)

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
Let's not even mention toothpaste.
Thought divorce was a real possibility when my husband found out I don't put the cap back on the toothpaste nine times out of ten. A habit I failed to mention when he offered to make an honest woman out of me :)
Please, please, please don't say you used his toothbrush.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts