Novice Solar Question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Carol K, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

I'm really enjoying learning from all the solar threads here at the moment, but how do you decide which system to start with like 12V or 24V? Could one of you solar whizz people explain how to choose and the benefits and disadvantages of both, also which books for a novice are good to have that explain things in "layman" terms. I have started getting Home power. but it's a little beyond me at the moment!

Thanks
    Carol K

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Hi Carol. A good place for a beginner to read is at
    www.backwoodssolar.com

The differences in 12v and 24v.
    You can put the 24v panels a bit further away from the batteries. The controler/inverter has to be set up differently. Usually 24v is a bit pricier to set up, but can handle a bigger load.

If you are fairly sure you will not ever want a large system, go with 12v. If you are planning to have a big system such as a full time house and running refrigeration and electronic stuff (more than a small tv/vcr or boom box) and washing machine and vacuum then you might want to do the 24v. I knew a fellow who ran 110v dc, but that is very unusual. I never ran more than 12v, but I didn't have a really big system and a lot of my electrical stuff ran on 12v dc without an inverter.

3. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

Thank you, I guess maybe I should plan on 24V just to be safe, don't want to start off and then change my plans because of limitations.

Carol K

4. John_in_East_Tx

John_in_East_Tx Well-Known Member

Even if you are using 24v, it should be pretty simple to run a 12v circuit if you need them for specific appliances.