Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Expect the unexpected
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here we are again.

Winter is close now. Already had some snow.
How about some ideas to keep houses warm.
And maybe some ideas for food budgets.
Comfort foods come to mind.

Stay warm, stay busy, and post a few ideas.

·
Registered
10,166 Posts
Hot cereal in the morning is very economical. Even cooking oatmeal, semolina (wheat hearts) or cornmeal in milk is still economical and it adds a wonderful creaminess to these grains. Also sweetens the grain.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
We had what we call garbage soup last night. It was originally made back in June in a big pot that included cabbage, onions, potatoes, a cheap cut beef roast, corn, and carrots. I pulled out the frozen leftovers, and added a leftover sausage link, and some leftover fajita chicken to make a really good meal with dipping bread.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I'm skipping the turkey and roasting one of the meat chickens I raised this year instead. My family isn't really that big.... I don't want to deal with a turkey, and I already have the chickens in my freezer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
We're eating a lot of soups and casseroles right now. We look at what we have in the fridge or pantry near its date and then decide which one to have that day/week.
Also, if the house needs a good warm up I can something. This time of year I find myself pressure canning meats, leftover soups, and beans. Nothing heats up the house quite like it and knowing you have ready to eat food leaves you feeling warm and fuzzy, too.

·
Expect the unexpected
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was in the dollar store yesterday. I bought some lemon drop candy in a pint canning jar.
After I got home and tried one, they are good. My thought is to go back and buy some
more. Golden Harvest brand name for jar. That way I could bag the candy, give as gifts
and use the jars to can jam in.

Thinking of what to get for small gifts this year for family members. . Last year for family Xmas,
gifts were low cost. Nobody has much money anymore. But that's okay. It's the getting together
that counts.

Cheapest turkey local is 37 cents a pound at Tops store, but you have to spend $ 25
to get the deal. Limit 1 bird per household.. It can be a pricey store for what I buy.
Aldi's had them for 68 cents pound, but none yesterday and not expecting any for a week.
Walmart last week had them for 78 cents a pound.
I did get one whole bird and also 2 breast sections to make sure I have here.
Now I look for bargains :)

·
Registered
622 Posts
Well, I contracted the covid virus from my workplace at the end of Oct. but now I'm over it and feeling much better. Having some extra groceries and staples in the house sure helped us. My husband was able to keep us fed without going to the store.

We tend to have lots of soups and stews when the weather turns cooler. It usually starts with some sort of meat and then it's whatever we have in the frig or pantry. The soups never turn out the same but they're always good. I usually serve biscuits or rolls with it.

To stay warm I wear layers. Especially if I'm staying home. A nice pair of socks, sweatpants, tshirt, and sweater do me just fine. Also, wearing shoes can keep your feet warm. Even a pair of house shoes with a good sole. I tend to walk barefoot, in the house, most of the time. ;)

·
Registered
711 Posts
I'm making stew from some of the last of the garden vegetables and some leftover beef from last night. I added some carrot and onion from the store, and will go out to the garden to pick some swiss Chard to put in closer to the end of cooking time.

·
Registered
193 Posts
TEXKAT, I'm sure glad you are feeling better. I hope you are completely well very soon. Can I ask what kind of medicine you took to get to feeling better. God bless you!

·
Registered
806 Posts
Texkat
i am so happy you are feeling better. It is my fear to catch it so happy to hear you are doing better. We have been buying turkeys from Hannaford for 37 cents a pound . You do not have to spend a certain amount to get them . We have been processing them making ground turkey and boneless turkey breasts. I think we have done six so far.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Save those sandwich baggies...I use them with a rubber band to seal various cans I open but don't use all the contents...Veg/fruit cans...etc.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Tonight it was cooler than usual so I made a soup. I put in some lentils, carrots, celery, and some chicken breast I found on sale. The whole pot of soup cost me less than $5 and it heated up the RV as well.
Last night for a desert, my daughter took two apples and cored them. Then she filled the inside with butter and cinammon and baked them. Delicious and again extra heat.
For keeping warm I skirted the whole travel trailer with plastic and put it over the windows too. We use one little heater and it keeps it warm. Plus cooking and baking helps out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts