Novels that deal with EOTWAWKI (End of the worl...)

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by FarmerJeff, Feb 11, 2005.

1. FarmerJeff

FarmerJeff Well-Known Member

Howdy-

I confess to having a fascination with works of fiction that deal with "when the s$#% hits the fan". Perhaps the best, and most realistic account of people living in the aftermath of a massive breakdown of society is "Dies the Fire" by S.M. Stirling. This is a 2004 book and is the first of a series of three dealing with people in the Pacific Northwest dealing with the effects of an electromagnetic pulse (EMP). I think the events are very well thought out. Suffice to say, folks like us have the advantage, however, cutthroat people quickly begin trying to horn in on our foresight. I can't wait for the next two books in this series but would like to read some other similar books (fiction) as well. What are some of your favorites?

Below is a link to the cover art.

http://hem.bredband.net/b104699/books/dies/dies_cv_xl.jpg

2. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

Here are some you might enjoy:

http://www.catholicity.com/saintjude/

Though they are written from a Cathlic perspective (well, I am Catholic), the first and the last one were great reads. Best of all, they will send you the books absolutely free.

Nikki

3. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

Lucifers hammer is a prime TEOTWAWKI book. by Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle ( byte magazine fame).

Patriots: Surviving the Coming Collapse by James Wesley, Rawles is good. This one started as a internet novel, you can still find free copies floating around, orginally called the Gay 90, then additional chapters added and the title changed to Triple Ought, more chapters thenTEOTWAWKI some additional chapers added and then it was again published with more chapters. Parts of the screen play are also available. Check out http://www.raewles.to/patriots.htm

Out of the Ashes by William W. Johnstone Been a while since I read this but it was good.

Here is a SCIFI link for other books.

http://www.scifan.com/themes/themes.asp?TH_themeid=9&Items=

4. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

The Stand - it's a long read and there is the usual Stephen King Good vs. Evil plot, but it's really good reading. The premiss of the book is very plausible too.

5. brosil

brosil Well-Known Member Supporter

6. FarmerJeff

FarmerJeff Well-Known Member

Yeah- the unabridged Stand is a great read. However, the supernatural aftermath aspects "the Walking Dude, etc" are not entirely plausable. However, it is very cool how King has integrated so many elements of his Dark Tower series into his other books. Actually, King recently wrote that all of his work ultimately references the Dark Tower story.

Gary in Ohio- You can't get more comprehensive than that. Thanks!

7. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

The Swan by McCammon is good...kinda along the lines of The Stand.

Mon

8. Madame

Madame Well-Known Member Supporter

I like Emergence by Palmer - well written and fun reading

9. flutemandolin

flutemandolin mark an eight, dude!

10. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

11. kentuckyhippie

kentuckyhippie Well-Known Member Supporter

Have you ever read "On the Beach" by Nevil Shute? It was written almost 30 years ago but was about the aftermath of nuclear war. Reading it then it didn't seem possible but today who knows. Very good read.

12. MsTrish

MsTrish Member

How about "Out of the Ashes" and all of the "Ashes" books by W. H. Johnstone. He also has a Mountain Man series. I used to collect them...

Trisha

13. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

I recently read "The Long Tomorrow" by Leigh Brackett.

"Two generations after the Destruction, rumors persisted about a secret desert hideaway where scientists worked with dangerous machines and where men plotted to revive the cities..................". Pretty good read.

14. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

How about "The Visitor" by Sheri Tepper? (I think it's Sheri Tepper.) It's sort of EOTWAWKI and sort of not, with an interesting play on fundamentalist religions and how they start one place and end up somewhere TOTALLY different. Rather philosophical and I suspect likely to offend highly religious sensibilities. Still, she writes beautiful prose and has wonderful characters.

15. amwitched

amwitched Well-Known Member

I am reading "The Taking" by Dean Koontz. I am only 1/3 of the way through it, but so far it's pretty good.

I have to agree that "The Stand" was GREAT!!

I always envision that I will be one of the surviving ones.

16. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Actually I think it's Swan Song and truthfully it's far better than the Stand IMO.

17. kabri

kabri Almst livin the good life

Oh, that's one of my favorites! Too bad it seems that Palmer was a 1 hit wonder with that book, I wished he had written more!

18. rkintn

rkintn mean people suck

I agree, not very realistic, but a great read. Ever since I saw part of The Stand on TV, I can only visualize Stu Redman looking like Gary Sinise:))

19. MARYDVM

MARYDVM Well-Known Member

"Alas, Babylon" written at the height of the cold war.

20. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

"Atlas Shrugged" by Any Rand