Notes to self...

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Pony, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

First, do NOT use bamboo poles for pole bean teepees if the bamboo poles are in their third year. :nono:

Second, NOTHING tastes like the first green bean from the garden -- even if it was only 2 inches long. IT WAS SO GOOD!!! :dance:

Third, there is nothing more gratifying than participating in Creation by planting a few seeds and reaping a bountiful harvest (even if some sharing with critters and bugs is part of the package). :angel:

Finally, go wash up now because noodling around in the garden by the cucumbers and squash and beans will make you ITCHY!!! :flame:

Pony!

2. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Amen.

This year I made a little fence in the garden, with a t-post on each end and field fencing between, for my beans. I was very pleased with the result. :)

mary

3. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

I agree! I picked 2 bushels of beans today and have another 4 to go. One more picking after that then these rows go into the compost pile. The second planting is blossomed and the third is looking good. One little bean produces so much food!

Tomato plants make me itchy too.

4. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

Note to self: Don't plant zukes, rolypoly squash AND summer squash in the same year. (especially when there is just two of you) :shrug:

5. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

My green beans are just getting ready to pick. I picked some yesterday.
    So... did you cook those very first beans or eat them raw in the garden? I eat a few raw. I can't wait.

6. ScorpionFlower

ScorpionFlower Insanity prevails

Note to self- Get a book about gardening. Local extention office doesn't even know where I AM! ARRRRGGGHHH

7. MaineFarmMom

Note to self - never plant Tess's Landrace tomatoes again. Too tall, too wide, tooooo many branches, completely out of control in spite of staking. I'm ripping every other one out of the garden today.

8. kitaye

kitaye Well-Known Member

Note to Self - Don't throw pumpkin guts into the garden to "compost" unless you want mighty pumpkins the next year.

9. TxCloverAngel

TxCloverAngel Happiness is Homemade

note to self...
    If you feed the blemished tomatoes to your pigs this year...
    you wont have to plant any new ones next year!
    I have more growing in my old pig pen (from LAST year!) than I do in my garden! lol

10. blhmabbott

blhmabbott We're gettin' there!

Just curious as to why? Would seem like a good idea to me, but then again I've never done it lol.
    Heather

11. Pony

I ate mine right out there in the garden. There weren't enough and they weren't big enough to bother carrying in to the house -- I might have lost them on the way!

Heather, the bamboo poles are three years old, and they're worn out. So, two of four "legs" collapsed under the weight of the vines. Next year, I'll have lots more room, so I'm going back to the "conventional" row planting for beans. I think it will increase production and make the beans easier to find/pick.

Pony!

12. blhmabbott

blhmabbott We're gettin' there!

Heather, the bamboo poles are three years old, and they're worn out. So, two of four "legs" collapsed under the weight of the vines. Next year, I'll have lots more room, so I'm going back to the "conventional" row planting for beans. I think it will increase production and make the beans easier to find/pick.

Pony!
    [/QUOTE]

AAhhhhh.......that explains it. Thanks for poiting that out! Didn't know bamboo wore out after 3 years. Daddy still uses cane poles so I was thinking along those lines. Good luck next year!
    Heather

13. ScorpionFlower

Another note to self- NEVER put anything past baby rabbits!!! Time to sit outside with the bb gun every day all day. At least until my new seedlings are grown up to be plants!

14. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

Note to self, read other people's notes to self and act accordingly.

:D

15. MaineFarmMom

Note to self: Stop procrastinating and get the ends of the hoops closed up. 37° this morning. This is August. It's bizarre.

16. ScorpionFlower

Note to self, move to where MainFarmMom is... it's 95 degrees already.

17. MaineFarmMom

Combine my 60° with your 95° and we could have really nice weather.

18. SpringCrkAromas

SpringCrkAromas Well-Known Member

Note to self: never go away in the middle of July and ASSUME your in-laws 1/4 mile down the road will tend to your garden.
    What a mess, tomatoes got too big for cages and fell over, pumpkin vines climbed the cherry tree, cucumbers became one with the watermelon, green beans way past pickin' (didn't even know they got that big) half the corn stalks down from wind and where did my potatoes go?
    Lesson learned, vacation from November thru february only!!
    Jill

19. Jennifer Brewer

Jennifer Brewer Jennifer

note to self. double the size of the garden every year for the first 3. or maybe forever. plant way more than you think you will use because you always end up sharing.

one cherry tomato plant is plenty
    one jabenero is plenty
    keep an eye on that corn!

There is still so much to learn. sigh.

20. Pony

Oh, don't sigh!! Don't be discouraged!!

Cheer up, Jennifer! :banana02:

Gardening is sort of a zen thing. You won't learn anything overnight, and the things you thought you knew are subject to change without notice.

But that's all right, really.

Just ... uh... BE the garden. :rotfl:

You'll never learn it all anyway. But as long as there are other gardeners, there will always be something wonderful to learn. :grouphug:

Pony!