Note from a Dog--

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by ceresone, Jan 10, 2007.

1. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm sure most of you read of the big starving dog i've been feeding. I attached a note to her collar, saying "I'M hungry, Please Feed Me" yesterday, she came back to be fed, with a note attached.
    ( mind you, there is some nasty people who live out here-and believe dogs should hunt for food, all 17 of them)
    Her note was bright yellow, on her pink collar, and she brought it right to me.it said " Thank you for your concern. but I am nursing 7 hungry puppies. right now. I eat like a hog. And my owners love me and give me as much food as i want.
    signed
    Anna (the dog)
    So, i guess my hobo dog does have a home, and if rather misguided owners, they care for her, so i'll continue to feed her, and perhaps attach wormer packages to the collar for her to take home? since they were nice i'll not tell them if she wasnt hungry, she wouldnt leave her puppies to go almost a mile (at least) to get something to eat.

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

There is a free sample of "safeguard" for dogs on the web...and other free dog food samples...google them....and enjoy your friend....I'm sure she appreciates your kindness.

3. pumpkinlady

pumpkinlady Well-Known Member

I think is nice that you are feeding this dog. I would too. If it was me the next I would attach to her collar is why this dog is running loose. She might not make it home some day.

4. ceresone

I thought that about her running loose too, esp since school bus barrels by--but i was afraid if they keep her tied, she might starve.

5. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure about that. Pyrenees are notorious wanderers, and a mile isn't far to go for them if they choose. Labs are also notorious wanderers. Most momma dogs I've had could inhale food like there was no tomorrow - and no matter how much they ate, eventually they looked horrible as they blew their coat and lost weight while nursing. (Wish it had worked that way for me... :p)

When you think about wild animals like wolves and coyotes, they leave their pups and may go far to hunt.. plus you've given her scraps, which are much nicer than dog food ;)

The main thing is why is she not kept confined... for her own safety. Having said that, I have two LGD. If they want to leave, there's no way I can stop them. They can dig under the fence (boy, can they dig!) and the male can slide between the hogwire bottom and barbwire top quite easily. We watched him do it!

6. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Whenever my big golden (who normally weighs around 101 pounds) is nursing pups, she looks like a refugee from a small African nation. I wouldn't be too quick to start judging the owners as starving or not worming the dog - her running loose concerns me though.

7. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

Maybe they are feeding some cheap dogfood.

I remember reading that arctic wolves can run 100 miles (I'm not making this up), kill and eat a caribou, sleep a bit, eat some more and then run back 100 miles to feed the pups. Granted running on windblown hardened snow is relatively easy but 100 miles!

8. ceresone

I belive cheap dog food might be why she's so thin, in addition to the puppies. a well known and used brand of dog food around here uses chicken feathers--or sawdust as protein.
    in my years operating a kennel, i found you'd be suprised at what they can put into animal feed and call it protein. expensive puppy food had chicken toenails, when contacting the company, they blamed union problems

9. Zipporah

Zipporah Well-Known Member

Well at lest you know she has a home.Wonder if the beagle lives with her? I'd send a note telling them it was dangerous for her to be loose and that she was almost hit by a bus.

10. Rose N'Gideon

Rose N'Gideon Well-Known Member

like DocM said don't judge the owners as starving her or not worming her or the puppies, with her nursing and running she would loose lbs that might be why she is skiny? I would be afraid of her geting hit by a car, then who would feed the puppies :help:

11. jen74145

jen74145 Well-Known Member Supporter

Or getting pregnant again... some people do not think. :nono: Owners ought to be ashamed, she should be kept safe and warm with her pups, not wandering about to get killed/pregnant/ tax other, kinder people's wallets.

12. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

I also believe that pups should not be 'wandering'...but this is an awfully nice thing you are doing. I'm sure you will be reimbursed for your kindness in some way. :)

13. albionjessica

albionjessica Hiccoughs after eating

What are they doing letting the mama-dog wander all over the county? Maybe a future note should say something along the lines of "I have several puppies that I leave at home every day so I can wander around the countryside looking for scraps to supplement the meals I'm given at home. Please tell my owners that my puppies need me more than welcoming strangers, and that I'm no good to them if I am accidentally struck by a car or dogknapped."

Glad to hear the dog has owners. Not so glad to hear that they are so careless with a member of their family.

14. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

On one hand I agree that one shouldn't judge the owners too quickly...

On the other, why isn't she and the pups enclosed and protected? Why is she allowed to roam? What possible good could this be doing?

And to meet in the middle, I think I would attach a note to her collar saying "call me" or "come see me"...I think I would want to get to know my "neighbors". I am very glad they answered the note though...

15. hoofinitnorth

hoofinitnorth Well-Known Member

Hmmm... toughie.

The lack of confinement for an UNSPAYED dog really concerns me. IRRESPONSIBLE!

My brother-in-law and his idiot wife do the same with their GENETICALLY MUTATED lab that they KNOW should not bred but is NOT neutered and often let loose in parks!!! ARGH! And the guy is a NURSE and knows about the prevalence of testicular cancer. Idiots.

16. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

I agree with all of the above. I *am* quite thrilled however, that the owners have begun a dialog with you! That's pretty neat!

Warning them the "little-white-lie" about almost getting hit by the school bus is a good idea, I think. Also, "mentioning" that you saw some mongrel wanting to *breed* her again might make a difference, I don't know.

In their defense, "Anna" might be the kind of independent girl that gets out no matter WHAT you do! Our frustrating momma dog, Nina, would get so frantic about GETTING AWAY from her kids (some of you can relate, I'm sure :p ), that she actually scratched through the moulding on the door to get out. When we fixed THAT, she nosed open a window! The little monsters were sucking her dry, and chewing her nipples, etc, and she just wanted some "alone time"! We finally brought her into our bedroom for an hour or two each day to watch soaps and get cuddled BY HERSELF. Funny girl....