Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
acrebound
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
but are we getting close to the end of the year to start planning for next years events. For me this year, I felt like there was not a lot of participation's on most of the calendar. I was hoping we would be able to go back to the old forum of just doing all quilt block exchanges and fabric swaps. Maybe it's just me, but feel like things were way off this year.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
I don't know what was done in the past, but I really, really enjoyed the different monthly projects this year. Some I did, some I started and have yet to finish, and others I've watched with interest in hopes to learn for later. I had a great time doing the table runner.

For me, having a monthly project to look forward to was perfect, even if I didn't post much about participating. The variety was good.

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
I ended up not participating much as the original list seemed to get 'lost'. I think I kinda liked setting all 4 block swaps at the first of the year, maybe throwing in an exchange or two. I seemed to be able to keep on track better that way. I like planning the whole year so if I see some fabric, and happen to have the dollars, I go ahead and get it for that future swap. Just my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
I too was kind of frustrated when some of the listed projects/swaps/etc never happened. I know things come up and life gets in the way (for instance, when I volunteered in January to hostess the 6" sampler block swap slated for September, I never dreamed September would find me with a grown son and his family moving back in with dh & I!! :help: Talk about a disrupted routine!) but it was still a bit of a disappointment waiting months for it to be 'time' to sign up for an item that was listed on the timetable and then that sign-up thread never appeared.

I like the sewing and quilting swaps and tutorials, and am open to trying my hand at other crafting options too if someone knowledgeable is willing to head one up.

I loved the mystery quilt we did in 2013 and the mystery table runner this year. I would definitely join in if we had a mystery something in 2015.

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
I think a thread like that may be started soon, but keep giving some ideas of the focus of the thread.

·
acrebound
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I am thinking some of these might be fun. I love the yo yo one, as we could swap yo yo's out. I was thinking of doing this one with black background and bright prints. When Old meets New look.

I also think this would be fun for any holiday. Valentines or Halloween.
Another swap idea is simple blocks with a theme too.

Attachments

·
Registered
544 Posts
Debbie I like the patterns that you have shown us here. I for one really like the Puss-in-the-Corner pattern and it's a really nice one for Scrap Busting. I haven't tried yo-yo's or tumblers yet but I'm betting they can't be that hard to do.

I'm trying to think of some swaps ideas. The wash cloth swap went over well and I like the thought of a Tea Towel or Finger Towel Swap. Then potholders are very useful and make a great small project for a swap. Or how about a pin cushion swap? We all can use a new pin cushion and there are so many patterns to choose from. Needle cases are a good swap item too.
For those of us that do needle arts like Redwork, embroidery, cross-stitching or whatever... how abuot a swap of those items too. I think anyone of these could make great one-on-one swaps. What's your thoughts on the matter?

For group swap ideas we could do something along the lines of "pre-cut" sized & types. Like 2.5" strips, 2.5" mini-charms, 5" charms, 1.5"strips, etc. Or a Fat quarter swap, with a different color or type of print each month.

Then I was thinking of a Secret Scrap Flat Rate Envelope swap using that flat rate bubble envelope. You can pack a whole lot of scraps in it. As long as it seals with the help of a thick width tape it ships! Depending on how full you stuff it, you could get several yards of "new" fabric for the rock bottom price of
$6.10. Yeah never know, something you see over & over that won't just go away could be a prefect piece for someone else's project.

I have been thinking of doing some of Sun Bonnet Sue project. Not real fancy but maybe have a monthly theme on them. I have an assortment of Orphan Blocks that were given to me that I'm thinking of just putting together in some fashion. This would be something I could turn into gifts for things coming up in the next year. I think it would be neat to have a thread about Orphan Blocks and what they became. It would be simple as showing us some of your orphans and then again after they became something. It would get them out of the stashes and into finished projects. Some ideas on those would table runners, sampler style lap quilts (or bigger), pillows with left over scrap batting as filler, bed runners for the foot of your bed to keep you feet warm without using a whole blanket. Then there are mats of all kinds... mouse pads, snack mats, place mats, candle mats, etc. Potholders, canvas art, framed squares for picture collages, and such nots. Also try using them to make those "green" bags advertisement logos go away. The different ways could be fun to play with.

I'll keep thinking about more things as I go along.

RTH

·
Rocky Mountain Deserts
674 Posts
My favorites are defiantly the holiday handmade swap and the mystery quilt(2013). one on one swaps appeal to me way more than quilting, but I like how much I have learned reading along. the other craft projects just seem like busy work.

·
acrebound
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RHT,
the yo yo strips would be very easy to do. If your yo yo size finished is 2 3/8 inch you could put that on a 3 1/2 inch strip. You would either hand sew down the yo yo or do it by machine. I can tell you first hand, that once you start making them, you don't want to stop. They are so addictive. I think I may have to start one of my own after the first of the year, as they are also a great take along project.
The other project that is like this is done with hexagons. Here is a gal that is doing hers all in blues.
http://helennoblog.blogspot.com/2014/08/hexing-forever.html

·
Premium Member
1,606 Posts
I was hoping for atleast 3 block swaps... the Sunbonnet Sue would be fun... plus throw in a couple other kinds of swaps.. I like the idea of pot holders with a tea towel, maybe a pincushion swap... or a grocery bag or tote sew along... I don't do well with the mystery swaps, but would give it a try... I need to go outside my comfort zone atleast once a year.. :) makes me think differently and grow.. hard on me though!!! Whew..

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I would really love a Hexagon/English Paper Piecing Project!!

I Love the Handmade Swap and am doing it again this year.

Normally, though, I probably prefer a sew along than a swap, simply because I don't have to stress about whether or not I can get something done on time. :facepalm:

Beth

1 - 13 of 13 Posts