Not the right organic attitude

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by ladycat, Jan 10, 2007.

1. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

I've been on the mailing list for a while of a new organic foods distributor that is starting up, and this morning I got notice that they are now open for business.

I eagerly went to their website to see what they have and what their prices are like (morningsideorganics.com) and they have a page listing their suppliers.

I was bothered at some of the suppliers I saw, so I sent off an email:

Hello, I am at your website looking at the brands you are carrying. Are you aware that some of those brands are well known for containing GMO ingredients and furthermore, are unco-operative in eliminating GMO's from their product lines?

An example is Dannon, which carries a bio-engineered probiotic in some of their products.

Another example is Campbell Soup.

I just got a reply back:

Cathy,

We carry a wide product selection to appeal to our many different customers. I’m sorry there are company’s listed whose values you don’t agree with.

Thanks,

Jamie

Here is the page of brands: http://www.morningsideorganics.com/Brand_Names.html

Am I being too silly over this? I'm just skeptical of an "organic" company carrying big name brands of some products that the companies making them ADMIT to having GMO ingredients (and some who don't admit it but respond with a lot of doublespeak when you ask).

2. DenverGirlie

DenverGirlie Well-Known Member

no, I think you are in the "right" on this.

There name implies that they only carry organic products, when in fact they do not so it's basically false advertiseing. However, seeing that that is the name of a store front and not an actual producer of products they might be able to "legally" get around the improper use of the word "Organic" in their name.

Legal? - It's possible ... Moral? - I think not

Apparently they are after a buck, no matter what false messages they put out there.

I would point out the difference and then email them this defination

Definition of "Organics" in the U.S.
    Effective 21 October 2002, all agricultural farms and products claiming to be organic must be guaranteed by a USDA-approved independent agency to be meeting the following guidelines:

Abstain from the application of prohibited materials (including synthetic fertilizers, pesticides, and sewage sludge) for 3 years prior to certification and then continually throughout their organic license.
    Prohibit the use of genetically modified organisms and irradiation.
    Employ positive soil building, conservation, manure management and crop rotation practices.
    Provide outdoor access and pasture for livestock.
    Refrain from antibiotic and hormone use in animals.
    Sustain animals on 100% organic feed.
    Avoid contamination during the processing of organic products.
    Keep records of all operations.

3. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

That is the most horrible response from a business that I have ever seen! My goodness ~ that is just crazy! :shrug:

4. hoofinitnorth

hoofinitnorth Well-Known Member

The local "big" health food store is the same way - they sell Oreos right next to their healthier foods but bill themselves as the organic alternative for healthy food for your family. Disgusts me.

5. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

I went to their site; they give a list right up front of the suppliers so no one is being misled IMO. If a person or group has a problem with this coops suppliers, they have the immediate option of not signing up with that particular cooperative. Many Don't give you a list of suppliers before you sign up-now that is bait and switch IMO. :grump:

I have been involved in cooperatives & buying clubs all the way from WI to KY to TN and now AR-not every brand is one I personally would use.

As with everything, it pays to do your homework and research. Remember, Monsanto has bought up a lot of the seed dealers & unless one knows this information they will be buying possible GMO seed. I see it as similar to this whole coop issue-find out who's products you are comfortable buying & stick to those-for your health, the environment and your personal ethics. :)

6. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I'm not buying it.

7. ladycat

The issue is, this company doesn't have the correct values for an organic distributor.

This is another sign of how the big boys are taking over the market.

I got my new issue of Natural Foods Merchandiser a couple days ago. I really like that trade journal because every month they tell who's buying who.

Pepsi just bought Naked Juice. :flame:

8. hunter gatherer

hunter gatherer Well-Known Member

Oh Good Grief!! I'm beginning to think that a surefire way for me to retire as a millionaire would be for me to start a small natural foods company and wait to eventually be bought out by some big corporation.

I've never heard of Natural Foods Merchandiser. I'm going to check it out.

9. ladycat

10. hunter gatherer

As coordinator of a buying club, I qualified for a free print subscription ( I would go blind trying to do that much reading online). Thanks for the lead. I'm looking forward to reading it.

11. NWoods_Hippie

NWoods_Hippie Well-Known Member

I am the order placer (put the online order in for the folks that don't have computer access or don't know how to use a computer), for our local buying club/co-op and about a year ago we sent the co-op a list of companies they were buying from that we had "problems" with and you know what they stopped doing business with those companies!!

Margie

12. ladycat

I qualify for the print edition also. It's GREAT reading and keeps you up to date on what's going on in the food industry.

13. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

So, ladycat, now every company you do business with MUST conform to your own personal ethics? :rolleyes:

Methinks thou dost protest too much..................

14. ladycat

Everyone is free to decide how and with whom they conduct their business.

I have questions about ethics of companies who deal with those who try to control the food supply behind our backs by getting the govt in their pockets, don't care about the health of the American people, and who are actively trying to get the organic laws watered down to the point that organic no longer means anything.

15. hunter gatherer

So, seeing that you are in Wisconsin, I would have to assume that you are ordering from United Natural Foods. If so, I'm ( pleasantly ) surprised they listened to the input from a buying club! If that's not who you order from, who you mind sharing the name of the distributor you do business with. I might want to consider an alternative distributor for my buying club.
    Thanks!

16. halfpint

halfpint Well-Known Member Supporter

I too am on their list, as they are a group trying to replace the Ozark Coop and I was a buying club coordinator for our group. If you ordered from Ozark, a lot of their products were not organic, but you could tell from the coding in the catalog what was organic or not. However it is misleading that since they have organic in their name that they have non organic products.

Dawn

17. hoofinitnorth

hoofinitnorth Well-Known Member

What's a "buying club"?

18. ladycat

A group of people who join forces and buy wholesale from the distributors.

That's one reason I'm able to afford organics. By getting in case lots at wholesale when it goes on sale (ie, below wholesale), I can eat organic pretty cheaply.

19. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Thats fine. You wrote your letter and they responded. It seems to me that in your opinion the only correct response from the company would be to agree with you and immediatly change the way they do business.

20. ladycat

What do YOU think about a company that has "organics" in their title, advertises themselves as an organic supplier, and then sells foods with GMO ingredients.

I like NWoods_Hippie's post. Read it again. That's how an organic company should respond!