Not sure what to do with this buck!!!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by pourfolkes, Oct 15, 2006.

1. pourfolkes

pourfolkes Well-Known Member

This is the first time I have had goats during breeding season and I am really concerned. I have 2 bucks now. One really large nigie and one little nigie. The large nigie is the one I have been using to breed all of my nubians and he is in full rut. My problem is this. He is REALLY mean! I know now why the people want to get rid of him. I don't dare turn my back on this guy and I had to put him in a separate pen away from my LDG because he was hitting him so bad. Now, he seems to be breeding the girls fine. I have seen him breed one for sure and tho I have not actually seen him breed the others, he is constantly "after" them snorting and shoving and doing what bucks in rut do... but... he head butts all of the does really, really hard and I am really worried that if they are pregnant, they soon won't be because he will really hurt them badly. What do I do here? Is this normal behavior? Do I get rid of him and let my smaller nigie finish breeding season? I had already decided that once I knew for sure they were all pregnant and once he was out of rut I was going to butcher him. I would not want to give him to someone and pass along the problem to them, I don't think that is fair and I have been told that you can't butcher a buck in rut without the meat tasting off. Any advice folks??? :help: :shrug:

2. Wingdo

Wingdo Well-Known Member Supporter

Can you segregate him until the air is clear, then butcher him out? It might be worth it to keep his "ornery" gene in check for future generations (unless he has a reason to be ornery). I won't have an animal around if it creates more monsters than already exist in this old world. It'd be nice if you had a 4-5 year old bull (Angus or possibly Longhorn) you could put with him in a large paddock "for company," or possibly an educational experience (for the buck), depending on how the buck wanted to play it... let the little guy experience life on the other side of the butt-kicking arena for a spell.

Wing

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Try this thread:

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=135603

We discussed butchering bucks in it a couple months back. :)

4. TC

TC Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link Emily.

I was wondering about butchering bucks. I heard the same thing about butchering a boar hog, that the meat would be bad. Last year we decided to try it, and butchered a year and a half old hamp boar after he bred one of our sows, the meat was perfect. We didn't scare him, and was very careful with the meat, so I think if you apply the same procedure to a buck, it will be fine.

5. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I'd say separate him out and use the smaller nicer buck to finish breeding. I'll bet the big one tastes just fine... LOL But I would also Bottle feed all his kids so they aren't agressive too, especially the boys, and don't ever let them 'play fight' with people, especially if you sell them (tell the new families what the father was like, what happened to him, and tell them NOT to encourage any kind of fighting with people whatsoever.) dehorn the kids, and castrate ALL bucklings out of him... That's what I'd do if it were my buck. Butting like that will definetely cause abortions. I've never seen a buck do that to a doe that isn't defencive... They're usually obsessed with the act of breeding and don't care if the doe attacks them or is defencive... at least not THAT bad.

6. KimM

KimM Student of goatology.

pourfolkes, are you anywhere near Ohio?

7. pourfolkes

pourfolkes Well-Known Member