Not sure if this is snuffles...

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by organicfarmer, May 1, 2006.

1. organicfarmer

organicfarmer Well-Known Member

My son has started breeding rabbits to start a little business for himself. One of his rabbits who is 9 weeks old seems to be trying to draw more breath every 10-20 seconds through his nose. His respiration rate also seems to be increased. There is no discharge from either his eyes or his nose. His eyes are clear and bright. We would appreciate some advice as we are new to this.

Thank you.

2. CountryDreams

CountryDreams Well-Known Member

I'm sorry that you haven't had your question answered yet. It doesn't sound like snuffles to me. With snuffles they usually have a discharge from the nose and the eyes. At least that's what I have experienced the few times I've seen it in my rabbitry.
    I'm wondering if it could be allergies. I've not heard of this personally but I'm guessing it's possible. That or asthma.
    Maybe someone else will come along with a better answer for you.

3. Honorine

Honorine Carpe Vinum Supporter

I haven't had a rabbit with snuffles in 20 years but yes, they do get a yellowish nasal discharge, are always sneezing, fur on the inside of their paws matts up from rubbing their noses. They get sick and go downhill quickly, and seem sick and miserable. It doesn't sound like your bunny has snuffles but consider pulling it from the others and watching them closely. Where's Pat Lamar?

4. organicfarmer

organicfarmer Well-Known Member

Thank you for your responses. The rabbit has not gotten worse or better. He is not unhappy or sick looking, just has this little fast breath thing. There is no discharge or any other symptoms.

5. awfulestes

awfulestes Well-Known Member

Maybe he is just hot? He might be sitting in the sun a little during the day or not getting any breeze .