Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a couple of weeks ago our neighbor called the police on us for having the radio on too loud. It was Saturday at 3:00 pm and we were working outside The cop said he could barely hear it from the street. Wednesday the same neighbor called child services on us because the children were playing too loudly in the back yard. Geesh I was just happy they were actually playing outside and not fighting. I don't want this to become an all out neighbor war. I've been nothing but nice to her. any suggestions? BTW they are foster children with special needs and scream a lot. This day they were actually toning it down.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not the vengeful type. I just don't want this to become a regular thing.

·
Registered
11,399 Posts
I am sometimes too chicken to face things like this. I know the best way is to go over & speak w/them.
If you choose to go this route, make sure you bring a neighbor to act as wittness....

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
They called child services because your children were playing outside too loudly?

Nice would be so far out the window for me. I'd talk to the police about it... harassment, making false allegations of abuse, find out when it becomes legally a problem.

This person is not your friend and I would have no interest into cajoling her into being one. She/he has some entitlement issues going on that will make living next door be a mess unless you stand up for yourself and don't take their crud. I am not nice to those people. When you start acting a bit cold and distant, and respond firmly instead of apologetically to their nonsense, they tend to back off.

I'd mention every single time some official was called out "Yes, my neighbor *Ellen Davis seems to call you guys all the time. Sorry Officer. Kids are fine. Need something to drink?"

They'd have your kids removed so they can have silence on a Wednesday afternoon. Not a nice person.

* I have no idea who your neighbor is, lol. Just picked a name. If it happens to be Ellen Davis, someone remind me to pick up a lotto ticket tonight when I fill up the car.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
I had a neighbor that called the City Code Enforcement Dept. on me repeatedly. He called in separate incidents because my grass was too long, I had a boat on the side yard, I had too much gas in the garage, and the last one was that I had to finish building the addition, re-roof the house, and tear down the garage. This was anonymous so I didn't know right away who was harrassing me.

Once I figured out who it was, I confronted him and told him I would call in a complaint on him every time he called one in on me. The complaints stopped.

Bullys only understand threats against them. You have to stand up against her. I like the idea of threatening to sue her for harassment. A small tape recorder in your pocket when you go talk to her is even better than a witness as long as it's legal to record a conversation in your state when only one of you consents.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
I think you should chat with her...maybe yall can come up with a compromise.

Being that we have no young children around the noise would bother me also but I wouldn't go so far to call the police. Your radio would bother me also especially if you had the booming going on...lol If the police officer could hear it in the street so could everyone else. I love quiet....:D

I take it with the weather being nice everyone probably has their windows open. It is not the kids fault but sometimes you have to put yourself in other shoes. Maybe explain to her about the kids..:shrug:

Even as far out as I live we have noise. We have a shooting range across the street it really gets aggravating sometimes...but there is nothing we can do about it. Most of the time they only shoot on Sundays so I try and ignore it. But you have to realize the neighbors have rights also..

·
Registered
438 Posts
Try having 5 or 6 CONTINUOUSLY barking viscous dogs next door....I'll take the screaming kids anytime.
I would be very mad about someone calling this in to the various depts....I would do like the above poster and explain to whoever came out that your neighbor is nuts. After a while they will conclude with you and ignore them or tell them to stop..there are laws about false reporting also.
Again like someone said--this person is not your friend, and you certainly don't need friends like this person.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
My neighbor got her panties in a wad because she didn't like my compost manure pile in the garden. I laughed because her yard is surround on 2 sides by a cow pasture, 500" away from her upwind is a feedlot and she is complaining about my compost pile that she says will ruin her being about to use her yard?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Found out from various people that she tried so find out what our town laws are ( um we don't live in a town.... just a wide spot in the road) what the county laws are ( there arent any)

She bothers me as I wonder what she will try next

I left the pile there all summer and like I told her it didn't stink.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
See, this is why I live on 20 acres at the end of a long dirt road with state forest to two sides of me and empty space/ farm fields to the other sides. Neighbors make life miserable. We are actually generally quiet-- but if we wanted to be loud, ain't nobody close enough to be bothered.

Calls to CPS are _serious_. If you get the wrong person out on the wrong day it can turn into a horrible mess. I haven't had troubles myself but I have known people who did. And, I had a family member in CPS, it's seriously a little tyranny and I wonder if they actually save anyone or if they just scar children and break homes.

I'd address the issue with the police and find out what you can do to prevent their harassment from being taken seriously.

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
I do not understand busybodies. Your neighbors are important. Some will go out of their way to help you.

I have had legitimately, dangerously bad neighbors. Once you have had those it is hard to get upset about much.

I will take loud kids just being kids and music I can't stand, but isn't making my walls shake, ANY DAY.

I'm just grateful to live next to decent people who don't have aggressive dogs, don't deal, and don't beat or neglect their children. Bonus points for keeping the grass short enough it isn't harboring rattlesnakes.

I won't cater to people who have the brass body parts to call CPS over children being children. No. Those folks do not even live in reality IMHO.

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Speciallady-- this wont solve anything and maybe you've already done it; have you spoken with the caseworker (of the special kids you foster) about this neighbor? Only because it could be 'on record' that you spoke with her about the neighbor and your 'loudly playing' kids....it could be on record, and the foster case worker would be in the know that it was about the neighbor's issue, not anything with you or your kids.

·
"Slick"
2,385 Posts
Speciallady-- this wont solve anything and maybe you've already done it; have you spoken with the caseworker (of the special kids you foster) about this neighbor? Only because it could be 'on record' that you spoke with her about the neighbor and your 'loudly playing' kids....it could be on record, and the foster case worker would be in the know that it was about the neighbor's issue, not anything with you or your kids.
What a good idea. And I would follow up any conversation with an email to her work , and/or a snail mail referencing said conversation on such date at such time we discussed the neighbor....

Can't stress too much the importance of written correspondence.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Exactly. If you take the info to the caseworker you look like a proactive, child concerned foster parent. If the caseworker finds out thru the grapevine, you look like a foster parent trying to hide bad parenting or perhaps worse. While I don't normally want to invite any gov't person onto my farm, in this case, I might invite the caseworker out just to see the happy kids playing outside and the proximity of the bad neighbor.

And thank you Thank you THANK YOU for the love and care you give those kids. It does take a special person to make that sort of commitment. It is something I have considered. Not to highjack your thread, but if you want to share some of the good and bad of foster care, I would love to hear more.

·
Registered
11,399 Posts
I would not do it even with a witness. They will not be reasonable and cooperate.
I wouldn't either - but that's what TG suggested and if the OP decided that's the route to take, having a witness would be my suggestion.

·
Registered
108 Posts
We have a neighbor that has complained to animal control about our 9 pound dog being vicious.... Her back was broken at 10 days old. She lived 10 years and never hurt anyone or anything: They complained if the whole neighborhood didn't bring in their trash cans immediately after the trucks ran: They complained because people bought the properties around them and built houses: Anything you can think of, they would complain. These lovely people had their house set on fire twice in four months. I felt bad for the Fire Marshall. With such hateful people, how do you narrow down your suspects? 😳

Disclaimer: I'm not encouraging anyone to set a neighbor's house on fire! Lol

1 - 20 of 35 Posts