not so lazy corn

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by kenji, Jun 4, 2006.

1. kenji

kenji Well-Known Member

ok I did ok on the lazy potatos
    next to it im trying some corn
    i hand dug a trench along side if the potato pach between it and the fenceline.
    i turned the sod towards the spuds and filled the trench with fresh compost that still has some foul smelling poop from the coop from last year fall.
    now im limited on space here so i was wondering if polination would be a problem if i only put in one row or maybe a few plants in the spud bed were things are thin.
    right now i'm letting the sod roots die and the soil warming up.
    let me know about the polination before i rake and plant next weekend.
    aloha
    kenji

2. Hee Haw

Hee Haw Well-Known Member

Ive always read and heard that corns needs more than one roll to polunate,I would make that one roll into a plot of two or three and when it comes up,work the dirt up close to it to support it, then thro the nitro too it, just make sure it gets watered in good not to burn it,are if you have old chicken pup that has been thru a heat, that would even be better.Corn feeds heavy and needs regular amounts of water. Others may have a opion too.

3. Lynne

Lynne Well-Known Member

I would plant short rows, instead of one long 30' row I would do a 10 foot section. Using a wide row(2'), plant 3 rows, corn does not get real wide like squash. A week later plant the next 10' section and so on. After the corn was up about 4", I'd hoe it one last time and then put hay down for a weed block and to hold moisture. When the corn was in tastle, I would then shake the stalks to help with pollination. Anyway, you do have to have several rows for corn to produce well.

4. kenji

kenji Well-Known Member

Ok I moved off the mulch and raked out the sod roots and and formed tw 18' rows 2' apart and planted bantum sweet corn 1 1/2 " to the 2nd knuckle on my index finger.
    I went to sleep with dreams of corn in my brain
    now how to i keep the coons out?
    aloha
    kenji

5. Lynne

Lynne Well-Known Member

Well you can sleep easy for a couple months until the ears start coming in. To keep them out then??? scarecrows, pie pans and such. My grandfather would take a length of rope (what kind I'm not sure) and put the fuse of M80's every 2-3 inches into the rope. Using stakes he would then tie the loaded rope over a bucket, in the middle of the corn and in the evening light the bottom of the rope. About every half hour one of the m80's would go off.
    Your neighbors may not care for it though.

6. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

Howzit, Kenji. Eh, Brah..if you REALLY want to be lazy, with excellent results, read RUTH STOUT.

7. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

the indians would plant in a 2 ft circle.

You could just make it like a corn bed and offset every one so that it was a very narrow two "rows" together with no path:

X____POT
    ___X POT
    X____POT
    ___X POT
    X____POT
    ___X POT
    X ____POT
    ___X POT

Just go through there when they get pollen and shake them and take some tassles and hand pollinate. That's doable if you don't have three acres of the stuff. That's what we do.

8. kenji

kenji Well-Known Member

good ideas
    I have abut 100% germination so can thin to your schematic.
    aloha
    kenji

9. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

That is how I did it with my hopi blue last year just two foot circles off set.

10. pepper

pepper Well-Known Member

jealous of your 100% germination i am mr.kenji !
    my plot had crusting problems with our lack of rain. i keep reading about 4 foot wide blocks being optimum for a minimum planting,i wonder if the 2 foot of circle was measured out from the center?
    for deer,possum & skunk repeling i got one of those scarecrows that hook up to the hose & when the unwanted critter trips the infared eye it shoots a blast of water at them. i kept all my cantalopes & had a great berry harvest too.

11. kenji

kenji Well-Known Member

I'm having a little problem with the ears that are harvested so far, but still tastey.
    Maybe i'll plant a block or three rows next time.

12. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

I had some truly bizarre pollination this year myself. One half (either top or side) not growing. The top not filling out we've had before, but one long side?? That was odd.

Also had those yucky cornworms, but the corn tastes just fine when you squash the bug and break off the part it was nibbling on.

And so we are getting to the part of summer when we think, "Wait til next year!"

Man, that went past fast!

Pony!