Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new Great Dane puppy and she is 15/16 weeks old. Seems VERY healthy, playful and happy. She has no fever, no sores, nothing showing signs of any kinds of illness, very clean ears and eyes. When we first got her I noticed a few small ( dime to nickel size) areas ( spots ) on her that were lighter in colour (she is black and white) that looks like she has thinner hair there. I don't know if I'm just worring so I am looking more or if she is getting more but, I think she is getting more. They really show up better in the bright light, like when she is out in the sun. They are not red or dry or raised. Just look as tho she has less black hairs in those areas. They are not all the same size and are not uniformed in shape. Normal or No? :help: thanks in advance for any and all help.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
could just be where coat is not coming in evenly- the areas with less hair have less undercoat. Watch to see if they go hairless- until then don;t worry- enjoy your pup :)

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, thanks I feel so darn much better. I haven't seen any of the areas completely lose all the hair. My son said maybe she was growing so fast that her hair wasn't keeping up to her skin, tee hee hee. thanks Willow.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
In dane pups...Yes, this is normal. Pretty soon she should start losing her "puppy hair". Her overall condition is going to be determined strictly by what you are feeding her... I've seen them from mangey/rotten to just bare-ish spots. Consistantly, it's the nutrition that has made the biggest difference....With raw fed pups barely even showing the transition. Also, depending on what she's getting fed, depends on how long you get to deal with this... The good news is that they do grow out of it eventually. It can take anywhere between a couple of months to a full year.

Congrats on the new pup, btw! I need pics!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow so much to learn, thanks for the PM... I am trying to change over to a BARF diet, have been reading and I also have three other dogs so it will be a little hard for me but, going to try. Want the best for them...

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hey There....It sounds like you have a wonderful new addition to your family :). I am kinda worried to make this post cuz it is a bit of thread drift, and also it might be uninvited advice....but, lol, I guess I am gonna post it anyway :shrug: (you might know already too, so if so, disregard!).

We had a beloved Irish Wolfhound until just a few months ago, when he succumbed to a heart defect that had apparently been present for years. He was only 3 when he went, and had appeared to be very healthy until the last 3 days or so of his life. These heart defects (his became enlarged) are more common in these giant breeds, which you might already know. If I had it do all over again, I would have had EKG's be part of his routine vet workups. If we had done that, we would have caught his problem before he crashed and he might still be with us today. So, I just wanted to recommend those EKG's and heart checkups for your new (big!) 4 legged friend.

Again, I promise I am not trying to be annoying. I guess I am just thinking that maybe our loss could help someone else not go through that heartache. I wish you many, many happy years w/ your Great Dane :angel: !!!!

Erin

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Erin, I appreciate you caring enough to post. Thanks tons. I would think about it but, I can't even imagine how much that must cost. Just the puppy shots are crazy. I have gotten a lead on a vet that isn't as expensive so when I see him I'll ask about your suggestion. Oh, and I am so very sorry about your loss. I know how hard it is when you lose an animal that you love so much. And again Thanks so much for caring.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Talk to me about BARF...If you live where I think you do, I have a supplier and will be happy to share. If I can feed 6 giants all raw for less than ANY kibble, so can you... I tell you, it's worth it just not to worry about bloat all of the time....

·
Registered
346 Posts
Petsneggs--Phew...I am glad you weren't bothered by my thread drift. Just a tiny bit more and then I'll stop...promise :p.

I definitely understand about the prohibitive cost....in part that is why we never had Badger's done (especially cuz he seemed so healthy). I wish now that we had, but I guess that is where that quote that hindsight is 20/20 comes from.....

A few things we noticed w/ him long before he got bad (that we now realize were clues we didn't heed) were: He would go thru spells where he'd sleep hard....I'd call him and he wouldn't even twitch. I'd think he was unconscious until he finally started when I'd go up and touch him.

Towards the last 6 months of his life, he'd lag by a step on our walks occasionally (very out of character for him). I'd look at him a little odd like "what's the matter buddy?" I know now what was the matter....but does one take their dog to the vet for lagging now and again during a walk?

And then, during his last couple of weeks, he had a couple of unexplained fevers where he was off his food and even *gasp* his water. (He LOVED his water!). We didn't think "heart" with any of this, and that was our mistake. Virus came to mind first, especially after the fever went away after a day. (We were in touch w/ the vet thru all of this, and all of it was interspersed w/ years of completely healthy behavior....).

So anyway, all that to say, I understand the prohibitive cost for the EKGs (that was why we didn't make it a routine....plus the fact that he seemed perfectly healthy). But I guess my advice would be.....if you see weird stuff, even subtley (sp?) weird stuff....let one of your first thoughts be "heart". And then get it checked, because it might help you catch something when it is still treatable.

Ok, I'll stop w/ the thread drift now. I hope this helps and that you have a wonderful time w/ your new fourlegged friend!!!!!

Erin :)

·
de oppresso liber
16,879 Posts
On the vet cost. I cut my cost by giving my dogs their vac shots. You can buy a pre-loaded syringe that will cover all the normal doggy vacs (all but rabies more on that in a sec) at almost any feed store.
<vent mode on>
On the rabies vac, in most states its illegal for a person to vac his own dogs for rabies, which to me is one of the most stupid things I've ever heard. I know many people around me who don't get their dogs shots because of the cost (it cost over $100/dog) therefore there are dozens of dogs around me that are not vaccinated. What is really stupid is I can order the vac and use it on my horse but I can't leagally use the extra for my dogs. BTW, I can get 10ml (enough to do every animal I have) for less than $20 but the state wants me to pay $1000 for the same thing.
<vent mode off>

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
watcher said:
On the vet cost. I cut my cost by giving my dogs their vac shots. You can buy a pre-loaded syringe that will cover all the normal doggy vacs (all but rabies more on that in a sec) at almost any feed store.
<vent mode on>
On the rabies vac, in most states its illegal for a person to vac his own dogs for rabies, which to me is one of the most stupid things I've ever heard. I know many people around me who don't get their dogs shots because of the cost (it cost over $100/dog) therefore there are dozens of dogs around me that are not vaccinated. What is really stupid is I can order the vac and use it on my horse but I can't leagally use the extra for my dogs. BTW, I can get 10ml (enough to do every animal I have) for less than $20 but the state wants me to pay $1000 for the same thing.
<vent mode off>
I understand where your coming from on the rabies shots.

The reason many of the states are now doing this is because many ppl are not giving their animals the rabies shot(even if they order it) or do not give it properly.

I personally always had the vet give my dogs and cats rabies shots because I wanted to be certain that god forbid they ever bit anyone it would never come into question.

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cricket, I'll give you a call this weekend so I can pick your brain, tee hee hee. I have also been told by someone that worked at a vets office for years that another reason that you can't get the rabies vac yourself is cause the good ole government has their hands in it and wants their cut. I will say that we are lucky here, the local feed store has a rabies clinic I think twice a year and a retired vet comes out and gives shots for $8.00 and so does one of the local pet shops. Can't beat that. Other than that I am planning on giveing them everything else myself. Just get all worked up about giving my animals a shot. Never bothered me to give a human one but, my poor babies now that is another story. Plus there skin is tougher than I'm used to giving shots too. Where do I give it to them?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
watcher said:
<vent mode on>
<vent mode off>
$1,000 for 10 ml worth of rabies vaccine injected??? That's only ten doses! Here where I am the shot only costs about $10 - 12, depending on the vet. No wonder you are in sticker shock!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.