Not really goat related but......

Discussion in 'Goats' started by allenslabs, Dec 24, 2005.

1. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

Well tonight was the family christmas party on my dads side (biological dad anyway) and most of it was a fun time but would like some opinions on how you would handle this.
    My husband and I don't smoke and my hubby will drink a beer now and then but otherwise we don't use any alcohol and we aren't on any "meds" and we don't use any bad language. I LOVE being able to be around everyone and we have a good time and they really are a fun bunch but there are cuss words flying, you have to see through the smoke (wasn't terrible this time really though) and you leave stinkin like smoke. To TOTALLY top off my husband never wanting to go back my 2 1/2 YO son walked over to my SIL and said "I found this"....... it was a 750miligram loritab!!! He eats EVERYTHING and we are so blessed he didn't eat that thing as it's hard telling how he would have turned out. He only weighs 30lbs. And no one would fess up as to who owned it. We watched him for a while for symptoms but nothing happened. We couldn't leave his side though for fear of finding another "candy."
    So DH said we need to make a choice if we wanna go back or not. He likes to visit with the family like my aunts and uncles but all together it's just a smoke house. And I see his point..... that really could have been fatal to Seth. And really I don't wanna even think about going again after that. But boy I had fun watching him open presents. He had the best time and every one was "Oh wow!!" like it was the best thing ever. The girls are 5 and 7 and wouldn't ever eat anything like that but with him being so little it's a pain. Anyway......... I wanted to vent and don't know if I really can to my mom as she flips out and would just add that to the list of why I shouldn't go over to that side of the families anyway. Thanks for listenin.... :baby04:

2. janceejan

janceejan Active Member

Just my two cents worth..........having grown up with a majorily dysfunctional family and holidays was the pits......

What if you have that side of the family come to your house and you can control the situations? "Sorry guys, only smoking outside" :nono: , you can always send kids to their rooms should the language get rough :soap: , and you and your DH can keep a better handle on what the kids are exposed to, and still enjoy the holidays with your family :happy: .

Just a thought..........

3. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I grew up in a family of drinkers. The family Christmas get together was just one more excuse to drink. The last drink I took was Christmas day 24 years ago. I woke with a nasty hangover the following day and said no more. After that, I chose to spend Thanksgiving with my parents and Christmas with my husband's family who didn't serve alcohol or smoke. My parents have since passed away and my husband and I moved to another state. We now spend quiet holidays together and visit a fellow goat person on Christmas. It is my choice not to be around people who are drinking and smoking.
    I cannot tell you what to do. I definately understand your concern for your young son. If I had small children, I would not want them exposed to drugs nor breathing second hand smoke. I like the idea of having family to your house where you have more control of the situation. Another thought would be to skip the big gathering and spend some quality time with your dad during the holidays. Merry Christmas.

4. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

If you have good relationships with your family, you should really take advantage of time together. Maybe start a tradition of outdoor family reunions in the Summer, and then have a private at home indoor Christmas without them.

If the family ties are worth preserving, do it in a big breezy park so the smoke blows away and there won't be meds laying around.

Lynda

5. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

Well I would LOVE to have christmas here but our house is just too small really for the size of family we have. But I think we could have a summer cookout. I think from now on someone here will have the flu for thanksgiving and christmas. Might not like it but I think it's necesaary. And I can visit with some maybe a day during the week every now and then and then just skip the major ones. That just really bugs me! PRESCRITION MEDS ON THE FLOOR!!! ANd no one even adult enough or mature enough to admit it. One of Gods angels was there to make him not eat that as he eats everything...... I mean we're talking one time trying to eat a goat "raisin"! HAHA!!