Not really a rabbit problem, but can someone help me out?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Tractorgrl, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Tractorgrl

Tractorgrl Well-Known Member

This isn't a rabbit problem, but I was wondering if someone could help me out. I thought I would post this here because it is about one of my cavies and I know some of you also have cavies. I posted this over on the pet board too, so if you've seen this twice I apologize, but I really need some advice. One of my male cavies has come down with what I am pretty sure are either ear mites or some kind of fungus. I'm leaning more towards the ear mites though, because I have seen ear mites in rabbits and this looks similar. I'm hoping that someone with more experience with cavies can help me out. The skin inside one ear is flaky (big flakes) and the skin on the outside of that same ear is also flaky and in some places it is very crusty. Some of the hair is coming off with the crusty skin. The other ear is also flaky and has some sores. I have another male cavy in the same cage, but his ears are fine. The reason that I considered fungus was because of the crusty skin and because his ears really aren't dirty like you often see with mites. I'm still leaning towards the ear mites though because the rest of his body is fine, it is only affecting his ears. I've had cavies in the past, but have never really had to deal with this. Do you treat ear mites in cavies like you would rabbits? I was thinking of using Ivermectin topically on the ears, but I wasn't sure if it would be best to put it on the outside of the ear where the flaky skin and sores were or if it could be dropped into the ear canal. I get a little nervous using Ivermectin topically on small animals because I'm afraid of putting too much on and overdosing. My uncle suggested I use Mitex (he used it on his goats and rabbits), but I don't have too much experience with this. I know it can be dropped into the ear. Has anyone else used this on cavies before? A friend of mine (a vet tech) suggested I use some sort of ear mite product made for felines rather than Ivermectin or Mitex because of their small size. I'm not really sure what I should do and any help someone could give me would be very much appreciated. I would prefer to use something topically rather than by injection or orally. Thanks in advance.

2. Bernadette

Bernadette Enjoying Polish Rabbits

I don't have any experience with cavies, but I have been told that if ever my rabbits get ear mites to use oil - baby oil, mineral oil, corn oil, - because it smothers the mites and is of no danger to the animal. I think it would also soften things up so you could remove the flakiness. That's what I would try first.

3. Carrie C

Carrie C Well-Known Member

I raised cavies for years but am not a vet so... IMO, it might be ear mites, mange mites, an allergic reaction, sunburn, or old age.
    For ear mites, I'd start with mineral oil or something similar. It can't hurt and might help.
    For mange mites (which would be odd but the symptoms kinda fit) I'd go to the vet or ask someone more familiar with mange mites. I've never had to deal with them. I've heard ivermectin does the trick, though.
    For an allergic reaction (yes, animals get them, too) look around. Did you change anything in the cavy's environment? Did someone hold him and pet his ear, leaving lotion or something on it? Did you ear-tag that ear?
    For sun burn, just let it heal. He might have laid in the sun a little too long, if he as access to that.
    As for old age, sometimes cavies just get a little flaky and scaly. I don't know exactly why, they just do, especially on the ears. Not much you can do about that, but a little bag balm helps it keep supple.
    Best wishes!

4. Terry W

Terry W Duchess of Cynicism

ONE /tenth CC of an injectable Ivermectic solution, in one cc of Vitamin E oil, is sufficient to deal with mites, it that is the issue. If not, no harm, no foul...
    Tea tree oil is alo a great miticide, but can burn if applied directly.

vet always told me, safe for cats, safe for rabbits and smaller, self grooming animals...

5. swampgirl

swampgirl Well-Known Member

Successfully treated mites in rabbits with a mixture of (1) part Campho Phenique to (3) parts mineral oil. I mix in in an old empty eye-wash squeeze bottle. Twice daily put one squirt in ears & massage. After the first day you may need help holding the rabbits unless you have a box to put them in, as it'll burn them until the scabs heal up. If you have a box that their ears pull through that is used to tatoo a number in their ear, that might work. Once healed, use this once a month.

6. Tractorgrl

Tractorgrl Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice ya'll. I had a friend of mine down at the vet school check him out and he said it looked like ear mites and gave me a mixture of camphor and mineral oil to treat both of them with. If that doesn't work he suggested I use Ivermectin. We'll see how it goes. Thank you all for taking the time to respond, I really appreciate it.

7. Carrie C

Carrie C Well-Known Member