Not Looking Good

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by big rockpile, Sep 23, 2006.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Heard some noise over on a neighbors the other day couldn't tell if it was a Brush Hog or Dozer.Well today went down check things out,yelp Dozer and Road Grader down at the neighbors.

It wouldn't bother me so much as far as the Dozer,but the Road Grader has me a bit worried.Wife thinks he is getting ready to divide his place up.

If he does the nieghbor right next to me for sure will divide his place. :Bawling:

big rockpile

2. wombatcat

wombatcat Well-Known Member

I know exactly how you feel :Bawling: When we bought our 15 acres, all the land around us was owned by a three-generation farmer. It was all cornfields and we had no neighbors within 1/2 mile. It was perfect for us. We assumed (and we all know what happens when we do that), that since the land had been farmed for three generations that it would keep on being farmed. Well, silly us!!! 2 years after we moved in, the cornfield directly next to our property line was sold. We weren't aware of it being for sale, or we would have happily paid cash at the time for the 40 acres. The 10 acres closest to us got sold to an idiot who put his doublewide as close to our house as he possibly could--you tell me why, with 10 acres of his own, surrounded by 30 other acres, he would do that???? :shrug: Anyhow, if that wasn't bad enough, he CLAIMS to be a "country boy" (he's in his 50's). But he doesn't garden and has no animals except one dog. Not a big deal, lots of people live like that. But....he mows his grass every single day. He fertilizes constantly and is more concerned about his grass than a gardener in the high-end suburbs.....and complains about things that make OUR yard look bad, like the lawn mower sitting out, or the pile of wood that has yet to be split, etc...because he is worried about how it affects his property value. He has complained about every animal that we have and has started to threaten my poultry because they are "upsetting his whole family". I am now afraid to let them out, even in their pen :grump:
    If that wasn't bad enough, the remaining 30 acres have been sold to a developer :grump: . Thank goodness they haven't started building yet, but all of this has really put a big wrinkle in our assumed plans :Bawling: So here is what we have learned: When you buy acreage, make sure that your house is in the dead center of it, as far from every property line as possible. No matter what the situation with the adjoining land, you cannot assume that things will stay the same....I honestly hope that your situation turns out better than ours did :-( I can sure see why you're worried.

3. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

Don't know about the rest of you, but rural water lines has done it to us--farm just down the road had been turned into a subdivision! and local farms are selling off a few acres, people putting in mobile homes. when be bought our farm, we would have one car a day go past--now, theres 4or 5 every hour of the night, weekends theres a regular traffic jam. but, i suspect the local drug dealer contributes to that!!

4. chris30523

chris30523 Well-Known Member

We bought our place about 4 years ago.Property in this area is high so I was hoping it would slow things down a bit.Wrong..It seem like the more it costs the more some people want to put in subdivisions.We have a large poultry operation and lets face it at certain times of the year it stinks!!I am just waiting to start hearing the complaints from the people building the million dollar homes at my back door.30 acres is nice but you can't even hide in the middle of it..We were going to go look at land in SE MO next month.Sounds like it might be the same there..

5. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

I got told that if they do put in a subdivision across the highway from us that they will rezone our land as something other that agricultural.. So no more makeing and adding on. I figure I got alittle over a year before that happens. I got to get this place "show ready". Show it and get ready to move. I didn't move here to watch this. The state of tennessee is so screwed up about getting more people to move into it. They invent ways to get revenue at every chance. Between taxes and permits. I don't even carry my wallet in my pocket anymore. I have wore out two pairs of pant pockets takeing out my wallet to pay bogus money to the state one way or another. It ain't worth keeping it in my pants.

6. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

I suppose we are still fortunate. Yes..there has been 2 homes built further up the road from us in the past almost 30 years but "local" people..nice family. The hay fields and woods surrounding our 4 acres is in the hands of an "old maid"..and that is the nicest thing I can say about her except..she won't sell her 350 acres because something with the family if she ever does she has to give them money and that she won't do..or something like that. So...for now we are safe. They did put large poles for the electric company about 8 years back on her property near or line..can see them..but really in a way that was a blessing because no one can build near those lines by so many feet and that would keep them that more further away from us. Do have a neighbor that also built about 15 years ago..15 acres. Bought it from his family that has lived on our road for generations. All are very nice in the family but her also built right almost against our property line. Go figure. Guess people just love me more than I know !! :p ..But since we have the animals for our little homestead and all the noise and "treasures" that go along with it and we were here when they built..don't complain. They did ask me to pen up my peacocks as the wife was "scared' of them..but other than that..and I can live with that..don't want foxes to get them aways but I hated to do that even..but consider myself lucky though. It's tough..and yes even our little community is changing big time. Before long houses will be built as sewer went into our little town 3 miles away last year..I can't focus on what..might happen..only enjoy my little part of the world and don't let things bother me too much. I don't see any big bucks coming my way in the near future so won't be buying that hundred acre woods..It's sad..but small town and country living is becoming a thing of the you read about in books and just like the old timers when they die off one by one we have lost just a little bit more of Rockwell's America..Progress ?? :shrug:

7. patnewmex

patnewmex Jane of all trades

The truth of the matter is that with billions of humans on the planet, not everyone is lucky enough to have more than 2 acres. Not everyone can do like you folks do or, do the math, how much of the earth is there to share if everone wants 40 acres or even 10 or 1?

Sorry that the neighbors are not country folk or are difficult. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. But we all have to live on the same earth together somehow.

I sometimes wonder about *some* of the folks on this forum. They seem to think every other person should have a farm and multiple acres in order to be self-sufficient. but that is not possible! Just something that makes me wonder out loud. It can't work. Just be good to other people and live peacefully but dont' wish that everyone have a farm cause it can't happen.

Just my two coppers.

8. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

Shadowwalker what kind of taxes and permits u pay? Got to be local stuff, not even any building codes here in my part of Tn! :shrug: Might want to look at other areas in the state!

9. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

I dont think that most folk on this forum feel all should be farmers and have a bunch of land. I think most of the folks here feel the country life is best for THEM and have some difficulty understanding why anyone would want to live in a big city. These are generally folk who can get by without high paying jobs and a zillion toys and a fancy house. One must give up some of the fun things in life to live the homestead style. Like- I am pretty sure our area will never be full of year round residences since it is on top of a mountain in the middle of no where montana with a harsh climate and not much water available. That is just how we like it. Our place is sided (two sides) by state/federal land and the other two sides are pretty much unbuildable for half mile or so. We dont mind people, actually like most of them, dont mind wildlife, dont mind hard work and dont mind the price of gas as we go to town to work. We all live the life we want because that is what we want or that is what we have for the time being.

10. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Just Isolation is so hard to come by now days.So much of this land around here belonged to just a few Families,now it is getting to a point that their Grandkids are getting up in years wanting to make a Fast Buck,to help finish out their Life,considering their Kids no longer have an intrest in their way of life.

But I've seen this coming with the change of people in this area,knowing how hard it was to Farm this land,just back when I was a kid.

It was just so hard putting in a Grain Crop because of the rocks,but it was done,people would get up every day Milk Cows twice a day 7 days a week.Just so hard.Now it is far easier to run a few Beef Cattle,not have to spend so much time with them. :shrug:

Oh well!

big rockpile

11. Shadow

Shadow Well-Known Member

The idea that if I have one acre I have a homestead is good as far as one acre goes. One acre is a great yard, room for a good garden, if the soil and conditions are right, a few chickens in a pen, a few fruit trees and you can raise a lot of your food and do it in a nice attractive way. But if you are depending on the land around you you do not own being part of your privacy, views, peace and quite you have a real potential problem. I see land advertised as bordering federal or state property as this is a good thing. WRONG I lost some land that was going to be a retreat from the world as it was taken to enlarge the federal reserve it was next to. True they paid me all it was worth but I had no choice.
    We have had people in the past around us that thought they could make a living and live their idea of homesteading of a few acres two up to five that had no idea what they were doing, made all the neighbors crazy with the too many animals, the noise and being real jerks.
    We have lost a
    house in the last year that was destroyed by people that wanted to live in the country, on 50 acres, moved in with animals they could not build the shelters for, refused help to build the barns and out buildings and in their idea of remodeling destoryed the house. After 18 months she left him, he lost his job, had to give away all the horses , dogs, goats, chickens, lizards, cats and a partridge in a pear tree, sorry got carried away.
    They could not pay the payments so we got the house and land back as we were holding the mortgage. We nolonger have a house it is now just vacant land. The house is still there as it has been too dry to burn it down. The fire dept will burn as soon as it is safe. Then a couple of thousand to clean up the home site and the whole experence is history.
    As we read the post on here we , me and the wife, comment back and forth as to who has any idea what they are doing or wanting to do, how many are dreaming and are really future bad neighbors, not realizing you can not have a homestead that upsets all of the neighbors.
    People that are homesteaders, true homesteaders lives do not consist of living for another post on what the bad neighbors have done now, they have lives working on the homestead, they don't have time to post several thousand post on two or three different homesteading sites. You figure if they spent that much time they could have a great homestead if they turned the computer off. I really think they are want to be homesteaders not gonna be homesteaders.
    Thats just my opinion based on living as a homesteader for over forty years . Not haveing problems with neighbors that talking face to face could not be settled fairly to all parties.

12. kenuchelover

kenuchelover Well-Known Member

Counting everything from the Sahara to Antarctica, if you divvied everything up there would be 6.11 acres per person on the planet.

But here in the U.S., it would work out to more like 7.23 acres per person (if we'd better immigration laws, it would have instead been more like 20 per person..... if we rigorously enforce the immigration laws we have, it would end up something like 10-15 acres per person about 40-50 years from now.

But..... it's all irrelevant, partly since MOST people prefer to live cooped up in cities, and partly because it's usually families living on land rather than individuals. So, even at current rates, a "family of 5" would have 36 acres to work with.

I don't wish "everyone" had a farm..... just enough of them to keep the land permanantly out of the hands of developers! :nerd: :hobbyhors

13. kenuchelover

kenuchelover Well-Known Member

:hobbyhors A one acre "homestead" is like all those postage stamp sized "ranches" in Southern California.... folks would buy a FEW acres (sometimes as little as one or two) & call it a ranch, even if they had no livestock or animals of any kind.

One acre is more the subistance minimum (food, NOT self sufficiency unless you have a trust fund).... often enough you can't even raise all your meat off it unless you IMPORT feed for the animals, it's difficult to get enough fiber off it for clothing, you don't have enough firewood to cook or heat with, and so on.

Basically, with one acre you CAN be "self sufficient" only if you put enough capital into it (off the grid power, have own well, buy lots of equipment & micromanage every square inch, etc) AND work yourself half to death with an extremely labor intensive system. The more acres you have, the more resources you have, the easier it is to live off.

Don't get me wrong, I feel that having one acre & doing what you can is head & shoulders above living in a city & I applaud those who try it.... but their quality of life (as you noted below ) is far too dependant on neighbors who're in close proximity, this vital factor is essentially taken out of your hands when your acreage is that small.

Eh, I'm not sure but what I'd prefer adjacent federal/state land.... the risk of expansion is likely significantly lower than the risk of development or of being driven out by obnoxious changes in adjacent land use when you live elsewhere. For that matter, you can have your land taken (by CITIES, or by state/feds for some eminant domain project) no matter where you are.

My sympathies.... and this just underscores the fact that SELLING off part of your land is a highly risky situation, and that selling off an entire property creates a risk for the neighbors who remain on their properties. Too many people consider the money more than they do WHO is doing the buying....

In my case, most of the adjacent land is owned by one rancher (& the rest is mostly across creeks from us)..... the overall geographic situation makes it highly unlikely to be developed, but it could easily sell in the next decade or two & leave me facing problematic neighbors. I'd like to buy some of it if possible.....but that will hinge on how soon it comes on the market. Too soon, and I'm out of luck. In the worst case scenario, my piece is large enough & timbered enough that we'll have privacy no matter what. I'd not have bought it otherwise.

Those neighbors I've met since moving out are all good people.... for which I count my blessings, and whom I'll do my best to be a good neighbor to in turn.

(Grin) I dunno.... being charitable, it could also reflect enthusiasm & an outgoing nature (hyped up on homesteading, but don't have any neighbors to talk to about it?).... or maybe they do that for relaxation instead of watching tv all the time.

Congratulations on the forty.... may you enjoy the next forty even more.

And that's the ideal to aim for, certainly. The trouble is when folk get hotheaded or jump to conclusions & end up causing personality conflicts....subjective perception being what it is, trouble is as often caused by misconceptions or getting up on the wrong side of the bed than it is by anything inherent in the conflict. And of course, some folk simply can't be reasoned with at all.....

14. homemom1fl

homemom1fl Well-Known Member

Thanks for this insight. Though it should be common knowledge I guess, I may not have considered it. We have 17.5 acres that we are going to build on and I will heed this advice!

15. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

Now according to my Dad, he is a plumbing and Health inspector for a large city. He does not want ONE SINGLE person to Live in the Country now this is coming form the Health Inspector side. Because not One even THE BEST Sanitation disposal there is, Not ONE of them can stop Bad things from Leaching into the underground water system. So he does not in anyway like any of these people moving "Out To The Country" and should not be doing so.
    Although I am living in the country and have a septic system and really not listening to him.,,,,but I just put that in my post just as a matter FYI that is all.

16. RLStewart

RLStewart Well-Known Member

I can feel your pain! We bought our place last year and had a nice Amish neighbor up the hill. Amish neighbor decided to start a new group and moved. New neighbor promptly bulldozed nice old farmhouse and is now getting ready to build his 400k house overlooking our place because thats where the view is the best! Also has been talking about subdividing. Probably after he found out how much the septic system was gonna cost him! :)