NOT for the squeamish!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ardie/WI, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

Here is a downside of living in the country!

It's deer hunting season here and usually I keep my dog tied or in the house for the time. Today, he wouldn't let me tie him up because his run is down and his chain isn't as long as he's like. He isn't usually disobedient but there are trucks and cars in our driveway and lots of activity because of the remodeling. He wanted to explore and visit! Well, guess what! Someone must have field dressed a deer out there! AACCK! Goldie finally came in the house and proceeded to barf his brains out. Yup! So here I am, dry heaving and crying because I'm so sick! I never smelled anything so vile in my life! I poured baking soda on the mess and got it picked up and in the garbage. I swear that I could still smell it all day! And I swear that I could have happily shot that dog myself!

Well, that was my day.....

2. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

Oh, that was horrible. My dog did that to me once. I was not the most attentive cook and left a pound of bacon on the stove and got interested in the paper. The bacon burned up and I grabbed the pan and ran outside and set it in the snow. My dog has a dog door - she went outside - scarfed the charcoal bacon, came inside and threw up on the rug! I know what you mean about wanting her shot! It's a horrible feeling trying not to gag when cleaning up a mess like that!

Has your dog learned her lesson - mine certainly hasn't. :haha:

3. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Yuck. I feel so bad for you, having to clean up that nasty stuff. Anything coming out of a dog is pretty gross.

4. margo

margo Well-Known Member

Oh, and don't forget that they can hold their BM's till the most opportune time. Our dogs are "rain-shy", so when the wind picks up and it looks like rain, they refuse to go out to do their thing. So, one day, the weather is changing, I get ready to go to town, and the dogs notice, and of course, will sacrifice th danger of the scarey weather to go for a ride with me. While I was in the store, one of them did the deed in the back of the SUV. Luckily for me, there was an old sheet covering the back deck, and some plastic grocery bags in a basket back there. It is difficult to control the gag reflex when your dealing with a massive warm pile thru the thin protection of grocery bags. whoop, retch, whoop........okay enuf said.....I feel a little green..........Margo
    Oh, Ardie, dontcha love them doggies????

5. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

Here's my yummy deer story.

2 years ago we rented a van so Ann, our 2 children, my son's friend and the 2 dog's could travel 4 hours for transportation to Thanksgiving dinner.

We had a wonderful visit, all but the ending. On Friday, our young dog, Sam, and the host's dog decided to dig up 2 week old entrails from the sandy spot in which they were buried. By the time we noticed, their feast was finished.

30 minutes later, we departed. After 15 minutes in the van, Sam got sick (of course). Fortunately we were prepared for car sickness with 2 layers of 4 mil contracters trash bags under 2 blankets.

Unfortunately, nothing on earth could have prepared us for the stench that came out of that dog's stomach. When we discarded the top blanket, TIED in one of the thick trash bags, you could still smell it, even outside of the van- it a trash can.

Rick

6. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

The hunter who field dressed an animal in our field was VERY thoughtful.. came and asked for a garbage bag and took everything with him. Nice guy.

All but the snow.

Yes.. the dog got out and ate every bit of that snow he could find before we realized what the heck he was doing, came in, and promptly lost it all over a white rug.

Why do they always pick the white rugs?

But what really blew me away was that a borrowed home rug cleaner took the stain right out. I was amazed. I wish I'd taken down the model and the cleaner the woman loaned me because that thing worked!

7. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

LOL. Oh yeah. Dog puke is something special isn't it?

Mine doesn't hurl much inside thankfully but he has another trick that I'm sure all dog owners know well. As soon as I give him a good bath he will immediately go out and find something dead to roll around in. Of course he brings part of the dead thing home to me as a gift. He comes in tail a wagging and looking proud as can be over the wonderful thing he has brought home for us. Loves his master he does....I think.

8. Mudwoman

Mudwoman Well-Known Member

One of our adopted "Shepherds" has a lot of wolf in her. She is sweet, but has a hunting streak in her that will never be tamed. The day after we got her, she proceeded to find a nest of baby rabbits and kill them and eat them. Came into the house and barfed it all up. She is a great dog, but I have never forgiven her for that one!!!!!!!!!!!

9. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

My wife won't let me give the kids animal cleanings after they buried a 4 day old Squirrel Head in the bed :eek:

Gave one of them a Rib Cage out of a Deer it buried it,and will dig it up every so often chew on it awhile then rebury it.Lets just say here latly I won't let him give me any kisses :eek:

big rockpile

10. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

Folks, the funniest story I heard about dogs was from my second ex-husband.

When he was married to his first wife, they had a miniature poodle who liked to take rides in the car. Well he took it along to the store and while he was shoppping, it pooped on the drivers seat! He got in and sat in it! :eek: :no: If ever there was a person who deserved to sit in dog do-do, it was that person!

11. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

Oh, I've had TONS of good ones. Okee.... There was the time Nicky ate the whole Toblerone bar (when she was about 9 months), diarrhea right beside the dinning room table on Christmas; the time my brother gave her bran AND milk (and she had a VERY sensitive stomach); the time she swallowed a button about as big as a toonie, blocked her digestive system for about a week, that was the very worst. Sadly, our beloved boxer Nicky passed away in June. The best one with our new puppy, Sherman, was when we were *trying* to take him somewhere, it was dark out, barley any light, and he grabbed a flattened rat carcass.... decayed enough it was just bones with some fur, no insides. He got his teeth locked in the skeleton, that was fun to get out... at one point I was even brave enough to grab the tail (which stangley enough, wasn't decayed) and pull... well, it broke off :S

12. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

My Wifes Big Ol Dog gets sick every time she rides inside the Truck,rides outside she is fine.

One day was going down the road,she usally rides on the Tool Box,look in the Mirror not there :confused: look some more can't see her :confused: Had a Moon Roof look up :haha: There is her Big Old Butt.

big rockpile

13. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

I worked as a vet tech for years, so not a whole lot makes me squeamish besides mucus. Blech! Hate that stuff.

Dog and cat vom don't usually bug me, but one day I did a quadruple take when Buster the Wonder Dog started heaving up this white mass of ... ??? what the heck could it be?

After poking at it with a sturdy stick, it turns out he actually scarfed down one of DS's gym socks -- the LONG kind -- and barfed it up in one piece. (Thank God -- I'd have hated to have to pay for surgery for THAT!)

Frankly, I'm surprised the stench from the sock didn't kill the dog. That kid's gym bag was always a nightmare...

14. Hears The Water

Hears The Water Well-Known Member Supporter

I am sitting here laughing my hiney off!! All these stores remind me of one episode with our two dogs Misty and Cookies. This was back when we could still let the girls run around free, and while they where out they found a dead skunk. Of course they came home soooo stinky and we gave them tomato baths. They realy stunk for about 4 or five days. During this time we would only take them out on leads so they could not find the skunk again. Yeah right. It was winter. So they must have realized that they could just go back and find the skunk any time they wanted to. At first they where just rolling in it. We would bathe them and keep them in and eventually we would forget about the skunk. This happend about 3 times. At this point we are getting to where the skunk smell doesn't smell to bad to us, I think our sinuses where burned out. One day my friend came for a vist. She was pretty citified and realy didn't know what to make of this whole dog thing. We had to chain Misty up because she is way to unpredictable around strangers. And since she is a short haired, indoor dog, she had to be chained up in the house. This was about the time that I realized two things. Dogs that are upset about strangers being in their house will pass gas a lot. And dogs that have been eating on a dead skunk will pass skunk smelling gas!!! My poor friend just couldn't stand the smell, I thought it wasn't all that bad! LOL. Maybee that is why she has not been back to visit me here!!!!
    God bless you and yours
    Debbie

15. goggleye57

goggleye57 Active Member

Great stories- We put a large container of spoiled beef and noodles in the garbage and our dog got into it. He came in and spewed piles of it all over. I couldn't(and still can't handle anything) that comes out of a dog. I had to pay my 13 year old daughter a princely sum to clean it up!