Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Joy
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went and got our new Creme d'Argent rabbit in Nashville yesterday. He has been in his new cage for 24 hours and still hasn't eaten anything, nor has he been drinking his water, which has me worried since it has been 90+ temps here today. DH put a crock of water in his cage this evening in the event Captain doesn't know how to drink from a water bottle, so we'll see if he's drinking in the morning.

Anyway, here's my question: Is it normal for transported rabbits to be off their food & water for a day or two? If yes, how long should I let him go before I get concerned? If no, what do I do to encourage him to eat/drink? Can he be trained to use a water bottle at his "advanced" age of 1 year old? Any thoughts?

-Joy

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
OUr California doe we bought saturday is having a hard time ajusting and is not drinking near as much as she should. I've bribed her with veggies, but she wouldn't touch it.
I think it might be normal. The change in feed might be a factor.

·
Premium Member
27,077 Posts
Does the rabbit have some hay? I have found that most of the time they will eat hay when nothing else seems to tempt them. I would be concerned about the rabbit already being stressed in this heat. Do you have an empty pop bottle you could fill part way with water and freeze? Once frozen put the bottle in the cage with the rabbit. My rabbits lick the condensation off the bottles.

·
Joy
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys. I felt like it was normal too, but that the heat was going to cause a water problem. I'm on my way down to the barn to check on him now and give him some hay!

-Joy

·
Registered
317 Posts
Most people with show rabbits don't feed greens (except for hay) or veggies to their rabbits. So that would explain why the new bunnies think that you are giving them aliens. :)

I would push the hay, lots of good hay. I would also try steam rolled oats or barley (oatmeal from the store works). Also cheerios work great. Put the treats on top of their pellets and would will be surprised how quick they will eat. Or should.

Give them a few days to adjust. Make sure they have fresh cold water several times a day. If they are acting hot put in an ice bottle.

Carisa

·
Joy
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The lady I got him from sent some of his pellets, so the food is the same. I gave him a bit of grass this morning, and he ate it pretty readily, so I think he'll eat. He drank some of the water in his bowl overnight, so I'm thinking that maybe he isn't accustomed to a water bottle. Thanks for all the help.

-Joy

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Keep in mind that it doesn't take long for their system to shut down if they stop eating. The rabbits digestive system is suppossed to keep moving, so you need to check the tray for "output" I'd say 24 to 48 hours without eating needs immediate action, since they can go into ketosis in a short period of time (their body begins to eat its own fat, and therefore the bun doesn't feel hungry anymore) I had a new bun who was VERY crabby about her new home, dumping food,refusing to eat. Each day she ate a little less, I did try to force feed towards the end, but its VERY hard to get enough food down them! I know Oxbow makes a suppliment called critical care, But you can make your own emergency supliment with pellets and pedialyte. I did read after the fact to smear the stuff on their legs or nose, and they'll lick it off. Unfortunetly my doe didn't make it, I couldn't get her to eat enough to counteract the ketosis. I thought if I had started earlier it might have worked!

Dawn

1 - 7 of 7 Posts