Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put out some baking soda and they ate it right up.

I put out loose minerals and they are ignoring them.

Does this mean I should put out more soda? Do they need the soda but not the minerals? I'll leave the minerals out, but I'm wondering why they are not eating any. Maybe this means they are getting all they need from the browse?

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Ah, goats... it could be a lot of things. :)
It could be that they need the salt, but not the trace minerals.
It could also be that they just don't like the minerals you buy.
Mine won't eat the minerals once a "crust" forms over the top. (humidity)
...they can be hard to figure out sometimes.

When I worry they're not getting enough, I sometimes top-dress their grain - but mostly they eat what they think they need.

·
Nubian dairy goat breeder
4,465 Posts
what do you feed your goats? if they after the soda, means their feed is not the right balance, and their rumen needs the buffer. my goats rarely touch the soda.

·
Registered
887 Posts
what do you feed your goats? if they after the soda, means their feed is not the right balance, and their rumen needs the buffer. my goats rarely touch the soda>>>

Hmmm...mine seem to like the baking soda, too. I add some once a week or so. I give them 1 cup each at most of Purina Goat chow (for the dry girls, milkers get more based on production), at least twice that amount of alfalfa pellets, beet pulp for a treat every few days, a mix grass/alfalfa hay free choice and water. I hardly ever have to add to the minerals.

Dee

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,891 Posts
One of my goats loves soda, the other couldn't care less. :shrug:

·
Registered
115 Posts
One of my goats begs for soda! She will take it over raisins or other treats any day. So I can't leave soda out. She will eat ever speck of soda that I put out in one day. So I just keep an eye on the girth of my goats. If someone looks a little bloated or just a little off, I will put some out..but for the most part I don't bother.

I know that a lot of people say that it is necessary to have it out all the time, but I raised goats through the late 80's and 90's without ever giving anyone a single bit of baking soda. I spent a lot of time around other goat farmers and no one ever suggested baking soda or even loose minerals. We always had very healthy goats and never once lost one.

So my best advice is just to monitor the health of your goats. If something doesn't look quite right, then add some soda or play around with extra minerals. But if every one is healthy, then leave things alone.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
It sounds like maybe they are feeling "acidic"..I cannot think of another reason animals or us would run for the soda. Are you feeding grain? Is there any mold in it? Sometimes its hard to see at first glance. The weather here is soooo humid..I would not trust the grain right now..especially if it has any sweetner in it..like molasses(sp).

For the most part..my girls won't touch soda. But they WILL chow on the minerals at times. Every location is so different in what it is lacking..ie..potassium, selenium..etc. So its tough to know why they are doing this.

Is it all of them? Or just one or two? I'd probably be more concerned if it was the whole herd..one or two..maybe they just got into some weeds that are making them acidic. Or maybe something about the feed doesn't agree with them. But if its the whole herd..I would be trying to find the culprit..if I didn't I would call a vet in..or see if anyone else raising goats around you are having the same problem.

Best of luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts