Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We went out tonight for a drive to look at Christmas lights. Not as many houses decorated elaborately this year as years before. I guess the economy has caused a lot of folks to downsize this year.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I know there are more Christmas lights in our area. Lately, the blow-up figures haven't been aired up as much around because we've had ice and I don't think those blow-up things like being coated with ice over and over again.

We had a beautiful late fall, early winter - weather wise. Gave people more time to put up the lights.

Also noticing a lot more of the energy-efficient LED lights this year. Have to admit, we switched to those too - maybe that's we notice them more.

·
Registered
387 Posts
We are the only people on our road that decorates. We have not dowsized anything, and probably never will. Christmas is our favorite holiday and we like to show it! But, driving about in town, I agree with you...hardly any houses decorated! It's kind of sad! Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Heck there are barely ANY lights up around where we are or in the nearby towns. I don't think it's just economic; I think it's pshycological. Folks just too worried, spent, busy to mess with em.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I noticed that the house that had those giant snow globes were taken down glad most people around here got the word about the recall and how the can start fires like a magnifying glass.

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
Definitely fewer lights around here, too. Even the folks next door who usually cover their house with lights only put up a string over the door and a wreath. A drive through the town shows street after street dark...maybe 1 house with lights. That's horribly unusual for here.

The downtown street seems more bleak, too. The city did it's normal decorating, but the stores (single main street, about 9 blocks long...victorian buildings) are quite sedate.

There have been quite a few shoppers on the street tho, so that's good news.

Every year I have great plans for decorating...and for the last 3 years it's fallen apart, so I'm guilty of having a dark house :(

·
tryna be His
2,199 Posts
I suppose reality finally hit for most folk, and then again...most ALSO decorate for Halloween, Valentines day, St. PAtty's Day, Easter, July Fourth, etc etc.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I suppose reality finally hit for most folk, and then again...most ALSO decorate for Halloween, Valentines day, St. PAtty's Day, Easter, July Fourth, etc etc.
Lol! There is a house nearby that literally decorates the outside of their home for each of the holidays you listed!

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
One must also remember that the weather in many parts of the country has been extra cold and nasty, not conducive for installing lights.

·
Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs
3,736 Posts
tourist area here, so lights are pretty much standard fare for the season on any lodging or retail property. Most families do indoor trees, maybe one outdoor tree with lights, not the elaborate things you see in some areas because why bother? The whole town goes lights for the tourists.

Our creativity comes out for Halloween, which is totally a local homeowner creative extravaganza. Halloween falls after foliage and before the next wave of tourists, in "stick season" and people unleash an amazing amount of silly creativity just for the fun of it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I think we had about the same amount of lights up in our area. We were not planning on putting up any lights outside this year. It just seemed like too much to do this year. We walked into Lowe's just when they put their decorations on sale for 50% off and bought a lot of lights. My husband and son put up a lot of lights outside.

Countryheart

1 - 12 of 12 Posts