Not about deer season

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by arcticow, Nov 11, 2006.

1. arcticow

arcticow Well-Known Member

Different tack, but are there any hound people out there, or night (varmint) hunters? If so, what is the strangest/oddest thing youhave run across in the woods?

2. AlaOutlaw

AlaOutlaw Well-Known Member

A python that was a good 15ft. long wrapped around a tree in a Florida swamp.

3. When I was in high school a boy that was a couple of grades above me came in late one morning to school. The principle asked him why he was late and he told him that he went coon hunting the night before and his dogs kept treeing a monkey. Just about the time he would get to the tree the monkey would start jumping from tree to tree with the hounds staying on him. It took him all night to catch the hounds.

He was the laughing stock of the town after telling that. No one believed him. However, a couple of years later I had a monkey cross the road in front of me. I stopped and looked at it while it crossed the field. I then went to school the next day and told several people about it and guess who became the next clown to be laughed at? :help:

By then the monkey had been spotted several times and was supposedly staying in someones barn at night. It was determined it had gotten loose from a nearby small zoo that is located about 25 miles away. Supposedly they have had several monkeys get away never to be seen again.

4. jross

jross swamper

My buddy told me that he saw a grey squirrel with a black squirrel on it's back when in his tree stand and the grey squirrel was screaming. The black squirrel was really a mink that was trying to kill the grey squirrel, and it took 45 minutes for the grey squirrel to die. The mink wasn't letting go. The swamp was frozen up so the mink couldn't get at the mud minnows they go after in the winter. The first time we saw the mink we thought they were snakes chasing fish, but not at winter temperatures. They just look like snakes as they chase their prey.