Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About selling your babies!

Ozark jewels has a wonderful reputation and I know her to be very trustworthy. She has given me LOTS of wonderful advice.

I have finally gotten a wonderful herd! I have 8 girls who can give me great babies. I actually have 9 does but something happened to one girl and she is stunted, so she's a pet. Her name is Bridget the Midget. She's beautiful and I really hate that she didn't grow. She is a sister to my Samson, I'm going to get new pictures of everyone soon and I'll post those. Anyway, I have 5 two-year-olds and 3 FFs for this next season. My billie jumped the fence and I think he got those 3 this time although I'm not certain, they don't really look very pregnant and if they are, they would be due anytime here. We were gone to a funeral and when we came back, he was there with them.

I raise Boers, by the way, they are all percentages. I don't have any registered stock (although they are nice enough, some of them, that they should be!).

Do you just take your babies to the sale or do you somehow advertise and if so how? Just in the paper? We have a few ethnic groups here that eat them, some that do not speak English. Should I put some sale bills up in their language and even if I attract them, how am I going to communicate with them? I don't speak the language! LOLOLOL

I did sell one to a Mexican family this past year and it was really cute cause the 8 year old boy did the translation and you should have seen him blush when he was trying to tell me his dad wanted a goat with no testicles. He was trying and I just told him, "honey, I know what you mean!" LOLOLOL He smiled so appreciatively! That's was funny. They were a nice family.

Other question, these folks butchered their goat here because they live in town and that sort of thing is frowned on in their backyard. Do you normally let this happen? They cleaned up and took care of everything, but I just wondered if you do that too.

Any other markets for the babies that you know of?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
dunroven, we dont let anyone butcher here but that is just cause we dont.
We have some repeat Hispanic customers who do it on their property.
If you dont know the language, write in english. "Cabrito" will get their attention.
Put some adds up at your local feed store, better yet the local Hispanic Market grocery.
Someone in the family will speak English good enough. I sold three to one family..at the time I didnt know the kid was only 14. He was translating for his dad.
Best wishes!

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
I sell them for Easter mostly to Italians. No translating needed here. I speak Italian well enough. I do not let them slaughter her. I charge $75 ea. at about 3-4 months old. Some times they take 6-7 at a time. I guess they are bringing them back for friends and family.
I put flyers up at the feed stores.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts