Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Disgruntled citizen
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While reading my journal, this brought a tear to my eyes. It's from last fall, but it still rings true. Thought I'd share it with ya'll.

Fall, a time for looking back... and forward
The leaves are turning... subtly, silently, yet, without a doubt, they change... hearolding the comming of winter's soft blanket of snow. The warm yellows, brilliant reds and crisp oranges brings my mind to think of the past year, the memories, hardships, losses, and gains. They remind me that time is short to finish all I had wanted to get done before winter. They whisper excitedly the approaching holidays. They rustle as the cooler breeze blows through them, seemingly urging families into homes together once again, almost like a shepard herds the flock into the barn at night. The colors are soothing, but with an urgent note. The hurried, busy season is nearing and end, it's almost time for winter.. time to re-energize, re-think plans for next year. It's a time for remembering as well as looking forward. I look backward, at times with a sorrowfull heart at all that has brought saddness, but also I smile at all that has been good in my life. I look forward with hope for dreams dreamed. Times change.. my old collie I notice, has grown old, seemingly that happened while I was busy this summer scurring to get so much done. That thought catches a breath in my chest, and a tingle to watery eyes. The puppy, that was so young and small just the other day it seems, is now grown to a big, sturdy, loyal dog who is now taking over Shilo's duty as she teaches the new pup to play, to live and to have fun. There is suddenly a man living in my son's bedroom.. it seems just yesterday he was climbing the old apple tree eating his fill, then walking around the rest of the day with a bellyache. I sigh as I look at a picture of my daughter... who also was just a cute lil girl, clinging to the back of a white pony, laughing in the wind as we raced accross the fields. Now, she's engaged, in college, living 4 hours from home. Bittersweet memories. A look into the root cellar brings a smile to my lips as a soft breath of contentment escapes. Yes, it has been a pretty good year overall. I have buried friends, family and consoled parents and friends as their hearts and souls were shattered with their losses. Yes, I think I will step ooutside, look at the last of the colorful flowers I planted, bend over and give them a thankfull smell. They may not be roses, but they need to be smelled to... it's the little things that make life such a wonderful thing..

Kaza

Oh what a year!

·
Perpetually curious!
2,749 Posts
That sure does resonate with many things I've been feeling/thinking. Thank you for sharing :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts