Norwegian Egg Coffee

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by diamondtim, Oct 3, 2005.

1. diamondtim

diamondtim Well-Known Member

Thanks to Cabin Fever and Wind In Her Hair re the description about Norwegian Egg Coffee (I know Swedes and Danes claim it also) it is wonderful. As smooth as any fine restaurant coffee I've ever had.

And to think, my mother is a full blooded Norwegian, parents were imigrants, and she never made coffee at home like this. Uff Da! :viking:

Share the Love,

Diamondtim

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

:eek: :eek:

Ya, dat seems like it vus a long time ago dat we posted dat recipe

3. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Well for those of us that missed it .What is it??? thanks..

4. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

I'd love the recipe too! I make some great swedish meatballs if anyone wants that recipe!

5. nappy

nappy Well-Known Member Supporter

I went digging in the trusty recipe box for my egg coffee recipe. This is word-for-word from my mom, a Minnesota "Swede". I added my comments in the brackets.

EGG COFFEE

"I boil 3 cups of water. Mix 4 heaping tsp. coffee with about 1 T. beaten egg and enough cold water to moisten coffee. Add to boiling water and stir well. Turn off the electric burner and let the coffee finish cooking on the off burner. With gas, turn your burner very low and cook or simmer slowly for about a minute, then turn off burner and let coffee stand a couple minutes. If I make 6 cups of coffee, I use 8 tsp. of coffee. For every 3 cups of water I use 1 extra spoon of coffee {not sure what is meant here}. You might like to make your coffee a little stronger. Be sure to use a strainer or pour a few drops of hot water down the spout {assuming you are using an on-the-stove-top coffee pot}. That will clear your coffee {of the coffee grounds that will float}."

Nappy here. I think I have used cold water down the spout to clear the grounds. I haven't done egg coffee in a long time but it sure sounds good.

Nappy

6. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

7. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

So you use the stovetop coffee pot but not the strainer part?

8. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

This sounded so bizarre that I just had to try it.

It's very mild with no acidity. I love it. Mine came out a little weak so I need to adjust the amounts a little.

I didn't notice the cold water helping the grounds settle, though. Maybe I didn't wait long enough?

BTW, I didn't have a stovetop coffee pot so I just used a saucepan.

9. diamondtim

diamondtim Well-Known Member

Hey All,

Talked to mom today and told her how she failed to pass on my heritage (she knew I was kidding, BTW). :viking:

She said she didn't remember how her parents made coffee, but that her dad drank 12 cups per day. :eek:

The grandparent that did make his coffee with an egg was my Dad's father, who lived to be 94. He was a cool guy and an Irishman through and through. Must have "liberated" it from some unwary Scandahooovian. :rolleyes:

Share the Love,

Diamondtim