northern tool-tractors

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by sage, Jun 23, 2005.

1. sage

sage On a City lot for now

Hi,
    Has anyone here had any experience with the tractors that northern tools sell?

We are looking for a good small tractor around 20 hp, northern tools has one with implements we want for about $6600.

Used ones here are almost that price and need restoration or don't have any implements.

Any suggestions?

Can't travel to find one, no trailer to haul it home with.

Thanks, sage

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    What is the brand name? Where do you get parts when something breaks? A tractor without dealer support is edgy at least. The 'grey market' of tractors is not yet developed very well, you could be buying trouble on down the road.

3. sage

moopups,

brand name is nortrac.

sage

4. sage

Don't know if it's "gray market" or not.

sage

5. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    I found 4 dealers in Idaho via google and also Nortrac seems to be larger than first thought, their own line of attachments, and larger pieces of equipment. The most important person to ask about that line of tractors is the repairman.

6. 2story

2story Well-Known Member

Rural King (a farm store in Ill. and In.) sell the same equipment. I had one on my place for a few weeks, 4wd, front bucket. It was a great tractor for the money, i could not get it stuck! I tried my best, the hydralics are good the power steering is a little slow at low rpm, not that big of a deal. Getting on and off the tractor is a little cumbersome, I am 5'11". The dash is ok nothing great, controls are situated ok, the symbol's explaining differtent levers, switches are criptic. if i had 8-G I could have a 25hp 4wd, machine with a 3pt hitch, power steering,and a front buchet and 540 pto, they are hard to beat for the price.

Only Negative --where do you get parts for these suckers. I know northern has a parts line, but i have never used them.

7. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Used ones are that price because they are name brand tractors that work well and will last. I have 2 Fords, one is 28 yrs. old and the other is 43 yrs. old. They will sell now for more than they sold for new, will that tractor be around and of any value in 10 yrs?

8. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

Can't speak about the tractors, but a friend who owns a small construction outfit has a couple of NorTrac dozers ... he's had no problems and loves 'em.

9. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I believe they are China-made & not worth 1/2 of what they cost. A used Japaneese tractor will give you much better service over the years.

Someday China tractors will be good. Just like Japaneese cars, remember those cheap rusty piles of junk Japan used to sell here, now they have premium quality cars sometimes better than USA made.....

Someday, China will do the same, make a good quality little tracotr.

They don't today, however. not yet. So far they still leak, break casting, don't fit, have odd creature features.

If this is a China tractor as I believe, it is priced too high in my opinion, for the poor quality & parts supples (or lack of) you will find.

As a second or third tractor to have around, maybe. If you plan to depend on it, forget that stuff!

IMHO

--->Paul