Northern Michigan breeders?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Kazahleenah, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

Looking for a "Few good goats" in northern Michigan... lower pennunisula. Breed prefrence is (in order): Toggenburg, Nubian, Alpine.... all others tie after that ;) Anyone up here even "have" goats????

2. t234063

t234063 New Member

Debi Taber has nubians. I got some nice animals from her this weekend. You can Email her at DEbit@cablespeed.com

3. nappy

nappy Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, us northern Michiganders do have goats in this (brrr) cold area. I have Alpine and know of other goat owners around northern Mi. If you'd like to PM me,I can give some names.

Nappy

4. nappy

nappy Well-Known Member Supporter

I forgot to say....Welcome to HT as I see you have only posted once on here. Hope you enjoy these forums as much as I do.

Nappy

5. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

Hello,
    this is Debi Taber, I live in michigan, and I have nubians. thank you for the kindwords, I think that was very nice.
    well, let me hear from you.
    debi taber

6. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

hi debbi,
    i live in michigan (near detroit) too. was looking for nubian goats for long time but somehow they are realy hard to find. now i will get one from kensington metropark.
    where in michigan do you live? still loking for people with goats to meet and learn.

7. debitaber

I live right between jackson and battlecreek. right square dab in the middle.
    I have nubians, and I milk. I love the milk. it is great. the best, in the world. where do you live? watch out where you buy your goats, I have friends that got goats, from different places in michigan, and they weren't all that healthy.
    debi

8. Kazahleenah

Didn't you know the first Murphey's Law of goats? Whatever breed you are looking for suddenly seems to disappear off the market once you begin to look. lol. I started looking for a nice Togg and all I could find here in MI seemed to be Nubians... (I love Nubians milk... and will end up with a few after I find my Togg)
    Best of luck to you, and I agree... be carefull where and whom you buy your goats from... the pain and grief a sick goat can bring down on you and your entire herd is far from worth the little bit that may have been "saved"...
    Amy

9. susanne

thank you debi and kazahleenah for reply. i do live in south lyon (48178)
    would it be possible to visit you debi? i think the goats at the farm in kensington park are taken good care of. they look healthy to me. since i'm a beginner i didn't want to start with an animal for coupple of hundreds $. and i'm also not interested in showing and an average milker is okay. i sure know that i like the milk and cheese but it is also a lot of work and i want to do it the right way. i have to trust my judgement and the seller and hoping for the best.

10. debitaber

sure you can come visit me. just let me know when.
    debi

11. susanne

how about next week?
    my husband is going to germany so i have time to go.
    is it your e-mail adress some posts earlier?
    susanne

12. debitaber

13. Michiganrog

Michiganrog Member

My wife and I live near Greenville, and we raise Nubians, should have some for sale in the spring, Deb Taber is a really nice lady, she came down and bought goats from us a couple of years ago. We just started over with new goats after buying from a couple of the "TOP" Breeders who were not trustworthy, and had to start all over. We now have a clean herd, disease free. Just be careful who you buy from, not everyone is honest as Deb and I are. Alway insist on current CAE test if nothing else. I wish everyone would remember the GOLDEN RULE " do unto others ----"

14. Kazahleenah

Just keep a couple things in mind before you get a goat....
    ~A poor goat will cost as much (usually more) to care for than a well, healthy one.
    ~ When they kid, purebred kids sell for a bit more than grade.
    ~ Both take the same amount of time to care for... unless you get a sickley one, or one that is prone to sicknesses... then they take a LOT more time (and heartache).
    My opinion.... find a GOOD breeder, and save the little bit extra to get a goat that will be healthy and happy for years to come. Just my opinions...
    Amy

15. susanne

16. Kazahleenah

17. debitaber

Roger, you are so right. this is debi, I bought some wonderful goats from Roger, and his wife. and they are wonderful people, and honest.
    But Roger, i bought 2 goats, from a lady in southern michigan, down by the border, and the goats were real beauties. both had up to date CAE, tests, and when I bred them , one became crippled, and had CAe. even though I had a paper, with an up to date test result.either, she switched tests results on me, or, the one goat just wasn't that healthy. I should have known. I did keep her to her self, and not in with the girls., and she isn't on the farm any longer. and both had an over load of worms and stuff. so I have learned to look at the animal. look at the hair, and see how the coat looks, and feel the legs, and the tummy, and really go over it , well. that is my best way of telling.
    many people say they have healthy goats, but really don't. Roger is right. you must get to know the people, and really look at their goats closely. check their mouths also, and their eye lids. I do everything but take their temps, and do that when I get them to my place. I still have the wonderful girls that I bought from Roger and his wife. and i love those girls so much.

18. ForMyACDs

ForMyACDs Well-Known Member

I'm between Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids and have Nubians. I will probably have some kids for sale in the spring and maybe some freshened does (likely after they earn their milk stars). We're VERY picky about health here too after paying lots of money for a doe that wound up being less than healthy (one of the first does we ever purchased). Fortunately for us, we knew enough to keep any new goats in quarrantine.......the sick doe never left quarrantine and was put down. We're also sticklers for testing for CAE, CL, Johne's, Brucellosis and G6S.