Northern meat saw and deer ?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by stumpyacres, Oct 11, 2004.

1. stumpyacres

stumpyacres Well-Known Member

We just bought a band meat saw/grinder. What proportion do you use fat to meat during grinding to get deer burger that "holds" together when frying???By the way it was $189.00 on sale.

2. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

Grind and mix a small portion with say 10% and see what you think. To make it easy, that would be not quite 2 ounces fat and 14 ounces meat for a pound.

3. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

That sounds like a good buy Stumpyacres, congratulations!
    I know everyone does it different, but we use 3 parts deer to 1 part fat. Good luck with your new grinder. :)

4. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

We don't add any fat.

5. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

I have never added fat to venison or elk burger and they hold together just fine.

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I understand the need and function of the grinder attachment but I cannot determine the need for the saw. What am I overlooking? Would not a motorized manual meat grinder have met the needs and for much less $$$?

7. Most usually I just add a pound of hamburger to a pound of deer burger and it usually has just the right amount of fat for just about any kind of dish. Also be careful with the over tightening any nuts and bolts on that new machine you have. A lot of it is made out of pot aluminum and breaks very easy. Especially the grinder.

8. agmantoo, I use my meat saw to make venison round steaks or round roast out of the hindquarters. It does a great job. I've also used it to make deer chops(with a bone in it) out of the backstraps. Hopefully this fall/winter it will come in handy to process my own pork that I'm raising now. That little saw can save you a lot of money if you raise or hunt your own meat.

9. UpstateNY

UpstateNY Active Member

Hello,
    I too mix hamburger or sausage with my venison. I buy the cheap fatty hamburger and mix it about 50/50. These make some nice lean flavorful but not too strong patties. I was buying hamburger for .99 a lb. If I can feed my family .50 hamburger that does not melt away into nothing as I am cooking it that is great!!!!
    We do the same with sausage. We buy bulk suasage again about .99 lb and mix 50/50. We add some spice as we grind and it comes out great. There is enough fat that we do not have to add oil to the pan to cook, but not so much that they shrink away as we cook them. We have a motorized grinder so we grind venison first then mix and grind a second time. This gives us a good uniform mix.
    I want a saw!!! Ok I am not sure if the extra work (cleaning, maintaining, set up and cost) is worth it, but it would save work from deboning everything and we could make some nice chops instead. As it is we have all boneless meeat when we are done. Wait I guess I should not be complaining about that lol. Hope this helps

10. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Last year we killed and home processed 6 deer; we had 10 tags to fill. We have several hand grinders but after a few hours no one would crank them anymore, so hamburger meat became stew meat.

We too are looking at one of the small saw/grinder machines. This year there will be 2 or 3 beeves in addition to whatever deer we harvest.

With a large family the work does go quickly, but it is tiring. I believe a little gizmo like the one mentioned above might be just the ticket.

11. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

I usually add bacon or pork sausage sometimes itailan sausage or anything else that may sound good at the time. Just mark your packages incase you find something you really like

mikell

12. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

StumpyAcres, Would you tell us what brand grinder you bought and if you have used it are you happy with it. Thanks, Rita in TN

13. headintodawoods

headintodawoods Well-Known Member

could you also tell us where you got it. I can't find an electric grinder for less than 299 dollars.

Chuck

14. doc623

doc623 Well-Known Member

A word of caution - do with it what you will - if the is any concern about
    chronic wasting do not use any of the deer that has spinal chord in it, i.e, the steaks where the

15. djuhnke

djuhnke Well-Known Member

www.northerntool.com has grinders for $99. I bought one of these and it rocks! Its a 1000 watt motor. Its rated for 170lbs a meat an hour and I believe it. When I make sausage I work with partially frozen pork and it takes it no problem. They also sell the meat saw/grinder for $200. Unless you are working with quarters, I don't see the need. Hand saw would work ok. But that is only my opinion.

Dan

16. mink

mink Well-Known Member

well when i make vwnison sausage its just that,no extra meats or fats...if id have wanted pork sausage id have ground some pork

17. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

I did a google and ebay search for "meat saw" and found quite a few new units for $179.

Take your pick

18. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I posted a film on here how to debone Deer it takes about 5-10 minutes.We have one of them saws.Butcherd 6 Deer last season and all we used was the Grinder.

big rockpile

19. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

If you want spices for sausage, or equipment from procesing, we have a local shop that sells all over and has for alot of years. Eldons Sausage probably has what you need and they are country folks themselves... I cant hardly walk into the warehouse i dont start salivatin from the spices [i have worked on their computers once in awhile] tell them I sent you their way!

William

20. William, I have ordered a lot of supplies and equipment from Eldons sausage. They are one of my favorite suppliers and hope to keep doing business with them for years to come.