Northern Maine, when should I plant my onions, peppers and spinach?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Quiver0f10, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Quiver0f10

Quiver0f10 Well-Known Member

I bought onion bulbs and pepper, spinach seeds. When can they go in the ground? I believe we are zone 4.

Thanks!

2. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

My gardens are in 4b and 5a, and I put onion, potato, beet, spinach, carrot, and radish in last week (in the 4b garden). I was just getting ready to go outside once I rested up reading the forum to plane my spinach, lettuce, some more spuds, onions, turnips, and rutabagas in the 5a garden.

Oh! And I think I'm gonna snitch a piece of rhubarb, too. :dance:

I love Spring, because I get to do my favorite thing: PLAY IN THE DIRT AND GROW STUFF!!

Pony!

3. edcopp

edcopp Well-Known Member

Spinach and onions can be planted outside at any time now, even if it snows on them a little. They are hardy and can take a lot of cold.

The peppers are a different story. There are delicate and will be killed by a very slight frost. If it is seeds that you have, start then in the house up to 8 weeks before your last frost date, then set them out much like you would set out tomato plants. Peppers are pretty slow to germinate even in the house, so don't get impatient. ... Have Fun.

4. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

Don't rely on zone for when you can plant. I'm in 4, my gardens are too wet to plant and it averages 40s° during the day. I'm at least two weeks from planting. My daughter is in 4, it's been in the 70s° and she could have started planting weeks ago. Zone is the average lowest temperature in the winter.

As soon as the soil can be worked you can plant the spinach and onions in the ground. You should start the pepper seeds inside now. They need warmth for best germination.

5. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm in Central Maine (Waterville area) and the snow just finished melting at the north end of the garden....it is way too soggy to plant anything or till. Hopefully things will dry out and warm up so nights are above freezing soon. Then I will plant those things.

An old rule of thumb that is especially appropriate is.....better to plant a little late than early and have to start over. I have friends that planted their gardens 3 times last year with cukes tomatoes and peppers....we were late (first week of June) and only planted once....also planted corn on June 10 and had a very good, sweet crop (65 day from Agway).

Winter doesn't end until mid May for certain :p

6. Quiver0f10

Quiver0f10 Well-Known Member

Ok, I will wait a bit. I am just getting anxious to get my garden going! Can't wait for fresh veggies :)

7. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Right now is a great time for digging up a coffee can full of worms for trout fishing in May.... I found tons while raking up some wet leaves and in the garden soil I just hoed up about 2 inches and wiggles everywhere!!!!

Chicken treats too!

8. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

You might try checking with your local Extension Office to see what publications and other information they have for your area. Ours is listed in the government pages, in the county section.

Most of this info is "free" since your taxes have already paid for it -- so you might as well take advantage of it!