northern lights tonight!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Taylor, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Taylor

Taylor Well-Known Member

Hey, Hoosiers, go out and look up!! There is a really cool northern-lights show going on. Except it isn't in the north for us, we can see over south east and over the barn (west) two patches each of a large whitish glow with a reddish glow shooting upward from that. Plus all the great stars - what a wonderful sight and evidence of how awesome is our God!
    Get out there and enjoy! :dance:

2. JWH123

JWH123 Well-Known Member

I just went outside, and no luck. 9:10 PM Eastern, in Pennsylvania.

Too bad, it's a completely clear night out tonight, and the moon hasn't risen yet.

I'll try again soon.

John

3. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

We saw it In west central IL! :eek: I called Swampdweller & told him to look outside! It was awesome! and a wonderful teaching tool... a homeschooler's dream! They were so beautiful.

We had an astronomy lesson at our house....

4. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

Dawndra, I was driving from work on Route 50 in south central Illinois when this happened, it is AMAZING they made it this far south. It is truely a incredible sight. :) Very, Very rarely do we ever see the northern lights.

5. pickapeppa

pickapeppa Well-Known Member

Darn. I missed it! We had some really nice northern lights last May in IL. Saw them around 2:00 a.m.

Around the pole was where it originated, it looked like rays of the sun coming out of this black center, like a daisy. It was amazing. It took up over half of the sky.

6. astrocow

astrocow Well-Known Member

The usual colour we see in the northern lights out here is green. Only once did I see it formed in a huge circle that took up most of the sky. It had a black center and the lights radiated out from it. We don't see red often. My favourite is when the lights are set up in a long wide band and the brightness radiates through the band in waves. Very cool.