Northern Idaho-again

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sage, Sep 3, 2004.

1. sage

sage On a City lot for now

Hello everyone,
    We've made the move, been here two weeks on sunday and are lovin' it! :)
    Sofar we've bought 3 fruit trees-2 plumes and a pear with 4 variaties on it! They are big and should produce next year! We can't wait! :) Next month weather permitting we will plant more fruit maybe peaches if we can get them.

Still trying to settle in and unpack, but enjoying the trees and grass. We've bought ourselves a tractor already with a brush hog so we can mow down the knapweed. :D :D Maybe we can eventualy contain it to a smaller area.

sage

2. practical-cat

practical-cat Member

Welcome to north Idaho! we're near Priest Lake...how bout you?

3. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

Welcome to Idaho!

Whatever you do dont pull spotted knapweed by hand without gloves. It will give you cancer on your hands.

We love our little homestead and enjoy dreaming/planning on all we want to do with the place. :)

Mrs Whodunit

4. bare

bare Head Muderator

Unfortunately, you are in the knapweed capitol. As much as I detest herbicides, I do occasionally resort to them for knapweed as I've found that hand eradication just isn't effective.

On a small scale, we have had good luck with hogs, in sort of a hog tractor. The idea is to confine your pigs to a small area, long enough for them to thoroughly root up all traces, then move them to the next patch.

5. practical-cat

practical-cat Member

Our sheep eat it and grow fat on knapweed. bad news for horses though.

6. julielou

julielou Member

I'm in Idaho County, almost five years, and just love it.

Got a cow for milk and meat production in Nov. three years ago, and her second calf survived birth near the end of May, barely! She's not cooperating though with giving us her milk; makes HUGE piles in her stanchion, and then urinates on them!!! So, the calf gets to have all of it this year. I have a better plan for next year.

We have lotsa Yellow Star, Canada, bull thistle and teasle
    to contend with in this area, near the Nez Perce Res. You'll find a little ring-bound book telling all about the noxious weeds in Idaho that I got at the local newpaper office. Sometimes you can get them at the local forest service offices, or the county ag agent's. Be careful with that Starthistle; there came a fellow into the optometrist's office one day who'd gotten one of the blooms into his eye while weeding, and had to rush to Lewiston opthamologists to have it cared for. I pulled them up a day or two after a rain every year for the past three and didn't have to pull but two plants this year. What a relief!

7. sage

sage On a City lot for now

practical-cat, I'm southeast of you near Athol.

I am really lovin' it here, very glad we made the move.

sage