Northern California Ablaze

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Heritagefarm, Oct 10, 2017 at 10:56 PM.

1. Heritagefarm

Heritagefarm I think, therefore I eat. Supporter

melli likes this.
  2. PlayingInDirt

PlayingInDirt Well-Known Member

Yep it's pretty awful. Dealing with the fallout at work. It really sucks, I'm not close. Really hits home though, since we do live in fire country, could easily be us.

Its still dry, even though it's colder. People forget. Do they know how it started yet?

ShannonR likes this.

3. Heritagefarm

Not according to this article. But they said lightning probably didn't start it. So many people drives vehicles, which get hot and can leak oil, or use weedeaters, even a rock smacking against another rock could start a spark, just anything.

4. PlayingInDirt

It's just a tinderbox out there. And it's been so windy too. I feel like this summer has just been a competition between the western states to see which has the worst of it. We had such a wet winter everything has been so overgrown.

Heritagefarm and ShannonR like this.
  5. ShannonR

ShannonR hillbilly farmgirl

My mom is in the middle of that mess. I am worried sick about her, and her husband and my little brother!!!! Last I got an update from her they were still in one piece, Santa Rosa was burning down very close to them. The house they live in is ok but the rental/condo was in the fire's path and they don't know if it's still standing. Prayers, please!

IndyDave and melli like this.
  6. Heritagefarm

Sure absolutely. I really hope they're safe. It's been a terrible year out there.

ShannonR likes this.
  7. PlayingInDirt

I'm hopeful Cal fire can get this under control quickly, they're really tip top.

Hope your mom and family stay safe out there #1 and their property stays safe also #2.

And I'm hoping our hospital is still standing. It's gonna be a rough week at work. At least I put in some OT.

ShannonR likes this.
  8. ShannonR

Thank you both. Still waiting on a morning update from them, the news says a new round of evacuations has been issued. Yikes!!

9. melli

melli Otiose Endomorph

I do hope the winds die down so the forest fire fighters can get a handle on it. California really gets hammered by the winds which can create a firestorm (fire moves so fast there is no fire suppression, just fleeing).
    Shannon - fingers crossed your family are ok and their homes are intact.

10. ShannonR

Still no update. I am really beginning to worry!!! Yesterday afternoon it was hard to get through to her cell phone, I got a recorded message saying all circuts were busy a few times befote the call went through. Praying this is just a communications problem and not anything worse!

11. krackin

krackin Well-Known Member

I heard on the radio that emergency communications are up and running and the emergency services have located many of the reported 675 missing persons. That was 3:30 EST.

ShannonR likes this.
  12. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Lots of cell towers were destroyed.
    Find someone with a Ham radio and you'll have a better chance of getting through.

13. ShannonR

At last update they were OK. They had to be evacuated but were allowed back to their home....for now.

Thank you again, everyone