North Carolina BBQ

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by michiganfarmer, Dec 18, 2006.

1. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

I met my wife in 1999 when I was in NC in the marine corps. She is who intruduced me to southern BBQ. She was born and raised near the east coast of NC. We both love a plate of BBQ, slaw, and hush puppies, but it isnt available here in Michigan.

I saw a show on the satalite dish about the origin of BBQ. Very interesting show...anyway...they gave a recipie for NC BBQ. I wrote it down, and made some last night while melissa was at work. AWWW MAN THAT STUFF IS AWSOME! LOL. Vinigary, and peppery! WHEW, that is good stuff. I didnt tell her I made it. when she got home I had her try this "new meat" I made. The smile on her face was wonderfull. We ate, and smiled at each other, and chatted about how good it was, and "why didnt we look for this recipie sooner?". Very nice meal.

2 cups apple cider vinigar
    1 tablespoon sea salt
    1 tablespoon crushed red pepper

mix it together, pour it over lean pork that has beed cooked untill it is falling apart, and shredded.

I put another pork roast in the crock pot last night. I cant wait for dinner.

2. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

OK, I think I can't make it to Michigan by suppertime if I leave right now, LOL! It really is the best stuff, isn't it? Hurricane Kurt made it for out Buckeye homesteader campout. My family had never had it before, and we were all amazed at what we'd been missing. YUM. I'm jotting down your recipe. Have a great dinner!

3. via media

via media Tub-thumper

NC BBQ is my hands down favorite, even after living in Texas!

Good job on making dinner :)

/VM

4. veme

veme Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh my gosh!!!! This is so weird!! I was just going to search for a BBQ recipe because my husband want BBQ for Christmas Supper!

veme

5. mj1angier

mj1angier Well-Known Member

Being from N.C. let me sort thing out. From a line starting at Charolett and going east you get the vinger sause on chopped or pulld pork. When you go west you get a tomato sause. Both are good but I love the vinger more. Nothing like a whole hog on the cooker, drowned in sause, pulled in chunks, some of that crispy skin, boiled taters,cold beer, freinds all around.... Dang if somebody don't need to have a birthday soon.