North American International Livestock Expo

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by caseyweiss, Oct 28, 2005.

1. caseyweiss

caseyweiss Well-Known Member

Hello all,

We are in the process of getting our show cattle ready for the North American show in Louisville, Kentucky. I am taking three Milking Shorthorn heifers and three Milking Shorthorn bulls. The two little bulls are not getting shown, they are on their way to California. I was fortunate to sell these two as oxen.

While down there, I plan on getting professional pictures taken of my bull and of my heifers if they do well in class. My Jr. Yearling won her class at the Ohio State Fair and my Int. Yearling was 2nd to the Jr. Champion, so I am optimistic. My bull has not been shown yet but he looks really good out in the pasture breeding cows. I have collected the bull and have been selling semen, so I think a good professional picture will help out my marketing and promotion a little bit.

We show at four county fairs every year. This was our first year of showing at the state fair. I was able to show at the North American two years ago and had the Honorable Mention All-American bull calf that year.

This will be a very busy weekend. Hay and straw are being delivered tomorrow right after the hoof trimmer appointment. On Sunday we plan on clipping the cattle. The one part I really hate about a November show is clipping the winter hair coat off. It pretty much regulates the cows to a box stall in the barn for a while until they grow it back. We will clip all except for the topline which we will have a fitter do at the show.

It is alot of work but I love the show and the competition. I think my favorite part is the breeding of the cattle and making improvements to my animals. I have really enjoyed Jeff's posts and observations of his dairy shows. Making new friends and seeing old friends is a large part of why we show dairy cattle. My wife and kids enjoy it too, so it is becoming an enjoyable family livelyhood.

Thanks,

Casey

2. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Good luck down there at the show. Showing is fun, and I am looking forward to the New York Spring show in April. Would be my first big show. I plan on bringing a Jersey and a Holstein, if the holstein I have is tall enough to go against the heifers that would be there, but she is growing nicely (corn meal and that grass silage is doing wonders). I wish the one Jersey I have was registered, she so far looks excellent. Her udder is very well shaped, and her frame is nice along with her F&L. Only one issue is her pins, they aren't wide, but that should change when she calves.

Either way, good luck, shouldn't be overly cool. Supposed to be a little warmer than recent days.

Jeff

3. SFM in KY

SFM in KY Well-Known Member Supporter

When does this start? I've been in Kentucky going on 6 years and still miss going to the big livestock show in Montana where I used to live ... the N.I.L.E. show in Billings, MT.

If things work out right, I might be able to get to the show in Louisville one day anyway.

4. evermoor

evermoor Well-Known Member

NAILE runs November 6-14 or so. We are taking two cows; a shorty and a jersey. It will be their first shows (sort of) and our first time in Louisville. We are dreading the ten hours on the road but it should be fun.