Normal Kindle Timing?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by JinSouthMs, Feb 22, 2017.

1. JinSouthMs

JinSouthMs Member

I bought a doe and she was bred on the same day, January 24. By my calculations she is due on Friday February 24.
    This morning I found this in the nest box,
    View attachment ImageUploadedByHomesteading Today1487772283.297217.jpg
    she is pulling her hair and making a nest!

This will be my first litter from any of my does, am I correct that everything is on schedule and looking good?

nehimama likes this.
  2. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

It looks good to me, but I have not had a lot of experience with rabbits, just three litters. Is she a large or small breed? I have New Zealands.
    At my location, the winter temperatures would make a litter now a potential problem, as it often gets into the teens or lower...right now it is in the 40s, however.
    She (doe) will either know what to do and they will be fine, or as a first time mom, she may not be successful. Either way, it is a learning experience.
    Good luck with your first litter.

3. JinSouthMs

JinSouthMs Member

nehimama likes this.
  4. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

I didn't realize SHE was not a first time mom. Knowing that, I'd say that things are okay...but maybe others can add their two cents.

5. Marinea

Marinea Well-Known Member

I would gather up all the fur, add a lot more hay to the box, make a fist sized area in the hay and line it with the fur.

Keep in mind that 31 days to kindling is an average. I would keep the nestbox in until day 40 if needed. Don't forget to check the kits and nest after kindling to clean out anything you need to. Don't be afraid to check the kits daily to be sure all are being fed.

I free feed nursing does and add some sunflower seeds a few times a week for the milk fat. Good luck!

nehimama likes this.
  6. JinSouthMs

JinSouthMs Member

Thanks for the advice, I added more hay and moved the hair on top in the back. This weekend is going to be very rabbity, I'm also going to my first rabbit show. Not to show but just to watch and meet people.

nehimama likes this.
  7. JinSouthMs

JinSouthMs Member

Last night I checked on the doe and everything was good but no kits.

This morning I checked again and the ball of fur in the nest box was moving up and down, life! I suspect that I just doubled my rabbit count(only had 6, 3 breeding does 2 bucks and a pet).

Fire-Man and nehimama like this.
  8. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

hi, Wow! exciting times! I have raised several different breeds of rabbits over the years. I think if you keep track of each Doe. no. of days from breeding to kindling, and that will be normal for that Doe. The experienced literature states that Larger breed Doe have a longer gestation time. The giant breeds might be up to 36 days while the miniature breeds might be 26 days? just for example? But normally when you have a doe that kindles on day 31 for example she will most likely always take 31 days! while a Flemish or English Giant might take 36 days till they kindle? and everything g in between? most of my average size? from say 8 to 10 pound? take 30 to 31 days?
    Years ago when I first started most of my doe dropped 10to16 kits each time. Now the animals I have drop 7 to 9 mostly.
    If I were going in to a meat production? i would attempt to find Does that would trend toward the larger litters! more money for the time and work. But just as a hobby. It really isn't important to me to have the large litters!
    it is important however to try to know the kindle date of your does! Simply so you can have everything prepared for them to kindle! hay or straw, I got to where I line the kindle box with 1 inch thick styrofoam ins. then straw. in cold weather? I think it helps them stay a bit watmer?? I hope anyway! I have lost kits in subzero temps due to freezing! mostly because they wriggle away from the litter? and I have lost some in heat due to same think they wriggle away from the litter and fall out a small hole somewhere?? I try to keep the kindle area, box, with high enough sides they can't get out of it? but somehow! a few will over the years and it doesn't end well for them! most of the time?
    I hope you enjoy your rabbits as much as I have over the years!! they will bring some kindness and joy into your life!! Share with all the children! hey love them!! pettting and holding them etc. pure Love! best wishes, ray

9. JinSouthMs

JinSouthMs Member

10. JinSouthMs

JinSouthMs Member

11. JinSouthMs

JinSouthMs Member

Just I case anyone else is following and is interested, I noticed that the kit down and left of the top light colored one is looking more like a dark wild rabbit color, not black. Fun!

12. Marinea

Marinea Well-Known Member

13. rabbitgeek

rabbitgeek Well-Known Member Supporter

She looks like she is doing her job. Rabbits have a 31 to 33 day
    gestation period. Typically they are born on day 31. Although I've had rabbits that would wait until the last hour of day 33. It drove me crazy.