Noodlers Anonymous

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by primroselane, Dec 31, 2004.

1. primroselane

primroselane Well-Known Member

Known variously as noodling or hogging, handfishing has long been a misdemeanor punishable by fines, because state officials fear it depletes breeding-age catfish. It can also be dangerous: Noodlers hold their breath for long periods under water and sometimes come up with fistfuls of agitated snakes or snapping turtles instead of fish.

That does not discourage enthusiasts, who insist there is great sportsmanship in fishing with your bare hands.

So after years of urging by noodlers, and lopsided legislative support for easing up on handfishers, the Missouri Conservation Commission has approved an experimental handfishing season next summer. Forms of handfishing are already legal in 11 states, including neighboring Oklahoma, Arkansas and Illinois.

"It's a start," John Smith, deputy director of the Conservation Department, said Tuesday. "We are moving forward in good faith to answer the legitimate biological concerns that we have, and balance that with the requests for making this process legal."

Missouri's biological concerns are that handfishers, who go for the biggest fish they can wrestle from riverbanks or hollow logs, will take too many sexually mature fish from their underwater nests.

The commission agreed to a June 1-July 15 season, during which handfishers who have bought a $7 permit can use only their bare hands and feet to catch a daily total of five catfish. Fish under 22 inches long must be thrown back.

Handfishing will be legal only along specified stretches of the Fabius, St. Francis and Mississippi rivers.

So secretive are handfishers that they have formed a club called Noodlers Anonymous. A University of Missouri-Columbia professor who got the group's cooperation in surveying its members found that most are men, average age about 40, living in rural areas.

2. inc

inc Well-Known Member

dont those catfish spike thier hands?

3. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

They go after Flatheads.Just stick your hand in their mouth,they clamp down :eek: you hold on. :yeeha:

big rockpile

4. idahocurs

idahocurs Well-Known Member

They are worried about taking to many large breeding age fish but you must release the ones under 22"? Why not a slot limit anything under 22 bnd over 30 or something? Sounds like the government is involved to me!

5. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

:haha: Sometimes you can get your whole arm in, up to the elbow. :haha:

6. Thatch

Thatch Well-Known Member

I know the film makers that made this film

Okie Noodling

It's a great tounge in cheek look at the noodling culture in Oklahoma. It pokes a bit of fun, pays a bit of respect, but mostly shows a some of the more interesting side of life in the US.

Support the small film maker and enjoy a good flick at the same time. Buy a copy for yourself and a friend.

J

7. cowgirlone

LOL I'll have to get that movie, thanks Thatch!

8. Cowgirl that movie has been on OETA several times.

I don't mind hand fishing being legal here in Oklahoma but I really think they should outlaw using breathing aperastiesielsljeja or how ever you spell it. To me using air tanks makes it a severe disadvantage to all other fishermen with their methods.

9. cowgirlone

R.H. I know I've watch one movie about noodling, but I don't know if this is the same one or not?
    I agree ........they should not be allowed to use "aperastiesielsljeja". (I'm sure you spelled it right).

I like to hear some of the men scream like little girls when they catch something bigger than what they went after. :haha: :haha:

10. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

I thought that you'd be talking about MAKING noodles... egg, flour... seasonings...

hehe

11. reluctantpatriot

reluctantpatriot I am good without god.

Terra Planet, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy
    For the safety of the noodler I would say they should be allowed breathing gear in case they get pulled under water too long. I know some have died from not being able to get back the the surface quick enough.

On another issue, noodling would seem to be the least damaging method because you don't hurt the fish with a hook and have it being swallowed and all you have to do is get it to let go and it is free. No need to squeeze it to get a hook out.

12. Part of the challenge is Who can hold there breath the longest? You or the Catfish? With air tanks the catfish has no chance at all and most noodlers take their catch home for the dinner table. Catch and release is mainly for the city slicken bass anglers.

13. reluctantpatriot

reluctantpatriot I am good without god.

Terra Planet, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy
    To each their own, but I don't think a family would like to have a family member drown trying to put food on the table.

The comment about releasing a noodled fish would be if it had a size limit on it.

14. ibcnya

ibcnya Well-Known Member

Hey, if a person wants to pay 7 bucks a year to put his or her hands in dark holes along a river in the middle of the night looking for food and be legal doing it then I think he or she has all the luck they deserve.
    I'll pay an extra 10 to sit on the bank with a beer and catch the ones they miss.

15. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

I have heard stories all of my life about people being draged in and drowning or even being half eaten by large cat fish. Noodleing in Okla is a time honored tradtion, for those that have the nerve.

16. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Hm, never heard of such a thing.

17. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

Man I been waiting for a long time to legally stick my arm into a dark riverbank and have something bite it. :no: :D