Non-show rabbit colors

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by jlott, Sep 14, 2017.

1. jlott

jlott New Member

I'm trying to figure out if the rabbit that I bought is actually of the breed he was purported to be. Yes, I know I should have done research first, but I lapsed. I digress... anyways, he is supposed to be an American sable. The problem is that he's obviously not a show rabbit. In fact, his coloring looks like a flemish giant but he only weights about 6 lbs and he's 8 months old (he was ten weeks old when I got him, so I'm working backward to figure out his age). I know he's not a flemish giant because of his size - that makes it obvious. Also, could temperature be causing the miscoloration because in the 10 minutes prior to my posting this, I found out that temperature effects Californian does. The breeding doe I have is a californian and I keep them in my bed room witch tends to be a bit warmer than the rest of the house. apparently warm temps result in loss of coloration (hers are almost gone) and cooler temps bring out the colors more (people who breed show rabbits in the south even have cooling chambers they raise the rabbits in to ensure that bold black). Could the same be happening to him as well? 20170913_091553.jpg 20170913_091603.jpg 20170913_091623.jpg 20170913_091758.jpg 20170913_091819.jpg

2. altair

altair Active Member

Kind of looks like a wild type coloration. He could be an American Sable, but a cull or unacceptable example. If you aren't planning on marketing his offspring as Sables, I think you're fine.

3. jlott

jlott New Member

Nope, I have no intention of doing so. Not even really planning on marketing his offspring alive. I plan to eat em and tan the hides for selling. The Amish in the area pay top dollar for rabbit hide, so my rabbit operation, once it's in full swing, will pay for itself + some.