Non-profits don't pay real estate tax, even with people living on property??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by heather, Jun 28, 2005.

1. heather

heather Well-Known Member

Just found out in our twp that we have a huge multi-million dollar compound for a very popular internationl non-profit org (who shall for now remain nameless) that does not pay real estate tax....I never gave it much thought, except for the fact that the twp supervisors are getting miffed, because 3 people now live full-time at the compound & we are all picking up their tab for taxes......hmmmmm.....something's wrong with this picture......can anyone shed some light on if this is truly legal or are they taking advantage of the situation or both??

THANKS

2. DAVID In Wisconsin

DAVID In Wisconsin Well-Known Member

In most states, non-profits do not pay property taxes.

3. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

I grew up in a Non-profit organization, never any taxes, even with families living on site.

4. heather

heather Well-Known Member

Well, that just stinks -
    I understand the concept of allowing non-profits not to pay property taxes. However, when does it end? How many people can they have living full time there? Personally, I think they're taking advantage of the situation -
    I know in some areas they have introduced a voluntary program for non-profits to give back to their communities some tax $$ that can be used. (gee, I bet that works REAL well)
    I think it's only common decency -
    They use the roads as much as I do, etc......

O well - when I pass them on the street, I'll just start saying "Hey, Easy Life" ;)