non-payment on e-bay question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ann Mary, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

I am new at trying to sell items on e-bay to help supplement our income. Someone 'won' my auction on an item on Mon. evening and this person has a zero number after his name...and he has not paid. I sent him a 'thank you and I will send item when I receive payment' note....nothing...so I sent a 'please pay by Friday' note. If he doesn't pay what do I need to do? :shrug: Do I put a negative feedback comment on his name or what? Then, am I allowed to re-list the item or is there a certain 'procedure' that I must follow? Surea appreciate your help! :)

2. Ninn

Ninn Custom Crochet Queen

Ebay should have provided you with a sellers manual when you registered. If he hasn't paid in what you believe to be a reasonable length of time, you can relist the item. However, you will pay another fee. Alternatively, you could offer it to the next highest bidder and see if they are still interested. And DEFINITELY put negative feedback. Never accept bids from people with zero feedback unless they have paypal accounts with confirmed addresses. You save yourself a ton of trouble.

3. Boleyz

Boleyz Prognosticator, Artist

If you give him a negative, he'll retaliate with a negative and hurt your rating. Has he answered ANY of your emails? If not, go to ebay and do a search for "Non-paying bidder". They will tell you exactly how to proceed, and they can contact/threaten him for you.

Get ebay on his case...but leave the feedback alone. I always let my customer leave feedback first. He gives me a good, I give him a good. If I leave him a good and then he leaves me a bad, I can't retaliate.

I've got a perfect score...never a negative. If you fire off a negative, you can expect to receive a negative. It ain't right, but that's what will happen.

4. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Before you get too panicky realize that the person may be busy, ill, out of town , dealing with some other emergency and has no intentions of not paying you for the item. I usually state in my listing that item must be paid for with 3 days of auction end. I wait for payment and on the 4th day send a reminder message. If item is not paid in full by end of 5th day I send notice that I am cancelling the sale and then relist. Follow ebay rules when posting a non paying bidder thing, i know they have some guidelines there. Sis

5. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I would ask what method of payment you agreed on? Was he to pay with paypal or was he to send a money order? At this time of year, the postal system is a bit bogged down but I don't really think this is a reasonable excuse because we all know that. I maintain my 100% feedback by paying immediately and if a seller doesn't take paypal, I contact prior to bidding and ask if it would be possible to send money via western union. Definately, contact ebay and find out what you can about delinquent payments and I think I would send an email advising the buyer that they need to may immediate payment arrangements or the item will have to be relisted. I guess I had 0 feedback at one time and someone has to take a chance on them but it's becoming more frequent that sellers require contact from buyers with limited feedback or won't sell to them at all.

6. Cindy in NY

Cindy in NY Well-Known Member Supporter

Seven days after the auction ends, you can file a Non-Paying Bidder Alert (do a search for this as already mentioned or click on the Dispute Console key on the left hand side of your My Ebay page). The bidder will get an email from ebay. After another seven days, if you haven't received payment, you can file for a Final Value Fee credit. You can keep track of all this by clicking on the Dispute Console Key. You'll get a credit from ebay for whatever the selling fee was (not the listing fee). At that point, you can also block this person from bidding on any more of your items and you are free to relist the item. Non-paying bidders become worse around holiday time!

7. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

My procedure is to send a payment reminder at about three and five days. On day seven if I haven't heard anything I'll have eBay send them a reminder of their obligation to pay. Just in case of computer problems at their end at that time I'll send a copy of the invoice originally sent to their mail addy. Normally I'll have eBay send a follow-up reminder at 14 days. Then wait until at least 21 days before formally filing for a refund of eBay's fees and leave negative feedback for buyer. When eBay has to give seller back the money they will give the buyer a non-paying buyer strike. Three of them (from unique sellers) get the buyer suspended from eBay.

I simply send out too much to try to match incoming against outgoing feedback. Plus, I do a fair number of multiple purchase sales with the buyer only leaving feedback on one item.

You can program your listings to require immediate PayPal payment. Before eBay will accept the bid (make the sale) they have to do a PayPal transaction. However, you somewhat limit your sales as not everyone has a PayPal account.

I believe you can limit bidders to those who have a PayPal account and not require immediate payment also. Outside the U.S. and Canada I will sell only with PayPal payment.

You also have, I believe, four bidder options you can program into your account. One is not accepting bids from outside the U.S.; one is not accepting bids from anyone with a certain amount of net negative feedback, such as -1; one is not to allow bids from someone with two unpaid item strikes within the last 60-days and I don't remember the fourth.

A buyer with a 0 feedback rating doesn't bother me. We all started there after all.

I have about 30 people on my blocked bidder listed. Predominately non-paying bidders, but also some folks I simply didn't want to deal with again. For example in one of my listings for a multiple quantity of hand-made S-hooks I indicated buyer gets what is on top of the pile. One buyer insisted I go through and send them four of the bests ones. Noted they were an artist themselves and had a sharp eye for quality. Made the sale but blocked future bids from them.

Even if you give positive feedback and buyer submits a negative you can still go back into the feedback forum and leave a follow-on message to your original feedback to them and a reply to the negative they have left for you.

Personally I'd like to see eBay put a time limit on neutral and negative feedback of say two years. At that point they would be deleted. A bad buyer or seller would likely be gone by then anyway.

Just a note on shipping: I predominately use First Class, Media Mail and Priority Mail with USPS or UPS for large or heavy items (normally over about ten pounds and the item(s) won't fit in a PM flat rate box). USPS now has available a pretty good array of free PM boxes. Just go to www.usps.com. On left look for Supplies link. Then click on Priority Mail. At bottom ask to see all available items on one page. Unless a prepaid envelope or such, boxes are free and USPS will even deliver them.

Unless you go over about seven pounds there isn't much of a price difference between PM & PP and both are typically lower than UPS until about that weight.

I am mostly sending out metal items. I can get a lot of weight in one of the two sizes of PM flat rate boxes.

Parcel Post is an absolutely last resort. USPS manages to lose about 10% of my PP shipments, include a 12x16x20 box only going about 100 miles with the same state. Have had cases where shipping took five plus weeks to only go a couple of states away.

If you mail at the Post Office they now put on a second sticker, which is a scanner form for tracking through the system. Not an option on PayPal at the present time. You can also get a tracking barcode when you ship directly on www.usps.com, but requires printing out a second form. Here your shipping options are limited to only PM and faster though.

Both of the local UPS drop-off points now charge me a drop-off fee the same as if I scheduled a UPS next day pick up. Thus, I now make UPS come to me.

I now ship out enough to where the local P.O. tells me I'm their largest individual shipper and UPS converted me from a regular to commercial account on their own.

8. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

Also, you can set your preferences to block bidders with zero feedback, and other safety measures.

Good luck.

9. Ken Scharabok

I just went in to double-check. You cannot block bidders who have a feedback rating of 0. Only -1, -2 or -3. You can prevent some bidders from bidding on more than a certain number of items based on their feedback rating, such as no more than 10 item bids if feedback is less than 5. For example you have 30 snowboards listed. Someone comes in and bids on all 30 hoping to win one of them anyway - then ends up winning multiple ones and wants to back out of more than one.

I've noticed it is not all that unusual for me to be the first one to leave feedback for a newbie.

You can always click on the feedback number to see if they might have five negatives and six positives for a +1.

In the past I have seen where eBay has said most of the problems between buyers and sellers are when one or both are new to the system.

I've rarely had to do it but you can cancel bid on your listing for whatever reason you want to.

10. dragonfly1113

dragonfly1113 Well-Known Member

Dont give him a neg. rating until after he has left feedback on you. If he doesnt leave feedback then dont leave any. Most people have 10 days to pay for an item if not posted otherwise. I won an item from this woman, paid for it through paypal and she never sent it. I emailed her and my emails were nice. I gave her a bad rating, she came back and gave me one. I responded by saying enough that other people would know I was the truthful one. She had ebay send me a message asking if I would withdraw my neg. feedback and I said no. Mine would have been withdrawn too but thats what she would do to people so I said I didnt care if it was on mine, people were going to know about her. So be careful.

11. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

I hardly think that Monday night to Thursday (3 days) without contact is considered a non-paying bidder. He may have computer trouble, weather knocked out his electric, he's ill, trouble with his PayPal acct, maybe the payment is already in the mail, or he could have simply forgotten that he made a bid on an auction (I've done this), etc.

How is your auction worded? Do you state that he must make contact and/or payment within a specific time frame? The term "reasonable length of time" can be interpreted several ways. You may wish to word previous auctions to include ALL terms of sale, including what you will NOT accept. In my ads I've stated that we will make contact within 3-5 days and payment is expected with 10-14 days. On day 15 I will report it to ebay and offer it to the next highest bidder or relist item. Check out other seller's terms of sale for specific wording that you would agree with.

We all had to start with 0 feedback at one time, so maybe he needs some coaching as to what he needs to do/is required to do.

12. Ann Mary

Well, on all my other listings I remembered to put a payment time limit in it...but I forgot on this one , of course! ;/ My only payment method was pay pal. I didn't want the wait time with the mail right now. There is SOOOO much to learn with this and I guess I'm learning this lesson now! ;) And I don't want to discredit his 0 number because I feel that is where everyone started....but I will definiately do a little more digging into this subject and I thank you all for your input. I really appreciate it.

13. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

If the payment was mailed it can take upto 14days to be recieved
    a 0 feedback is the first clue . while I accept pruchases by those with 0 feedback Im never suprised when they back out . They dont yet know how Ebay works . The only negative I have recieved was from a 0 feedback person.
    Last I checked this person had a negantive feedback rating of 8
    the problem is you can have negative expunged by Ebay if you pay them $50 I sometimes wonder how many do just that .

14. kuriakos

kuriakos Well-Known Member

Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet, but if you go through the non-paying bidder process and they don't respond, you can leave negative feedback and they can't.

15. Ann Mary

I got paid today! Yipee! And I"m going to learn from this and all your input...thanks so much for helping me out.

16. Ken Scharabok

'Last I checked this person had a negantive feedback rating of 8
    the problem is you can have negative expunged by Ebay if you pay them $50 I sometimes wonder how many do just that .'

What! Can you cite somewhere in their system with this procedure please. News to me. Simply doesn't sound correct.

Only thing I remember seeing from eBay is they will only remove negative feedback for perhaps gross profanity or such, and then it is on a very limited, case-by-case basis.

Why is someone with a -8 still on eBay? Simple, most people won't go through the non-paying bidder process so they pick up the three strikes required to get them off eBay.

I hadn't gotten a negative feedback for over three years. Then, zap, one which said simply "junke". No notice from buyer they were unhappy. I had already left them positive feedback because they fulfilled their part by paying promptly. All I could then do is put in counter-statements and put them on my blocked bidder list. In checking their feedback I saw where they did the same to another (commercial) seller. Newbie to the system.

P.S. I believe you have 60-days in which to leave feedback. On method might be to not leave feedback on any transaction for say 30-days, then just do a blanket statement (e.g., Successful transaction. Thank you.) for anything over 30 days old. If deal were going to go bad, likely would have done so by then. But, depends on volume you do of course.

17. Cindy in NY

Cindy in NY Well-Known Member Supporter

I had not heard this so sent an email to ebay. Here's their response:

Thank you for writing eBay in regard to the nonpaying bidders ability to
    leave feedback.

eBay made some changes to our feedback system around the first of this
    year. Now, under certain circumstances, feedback left for you by another
    member will not be counted when eBay calculates your feedback score - or
    in some cases might be removed from the site entirely. This can occur in
    one of two situations:

1. A Buyer Doesn't Respond to an Unpaid Item Strike:

Feedback from a buyer will be de-scored - meaning it will still appear
    in your feedback profile but will not count toward your score - when:

a) You initiate the Unpaid Item (UPI) Process;

b) The buyer does not send a single response to the UPI through the UPI
    system; and

c) You close the UPI with a strike against the buyer.

2. Member Becomes Indefinitely Suspended Within 90 Days of Registering

If a member leaves you feedback but then becomes indefinitely suspended
    within 90 days of registration, the feedback from that member will be
    removed. This means that both the rating and comment will be erased.

18. PyroDon

Its done through the resolution center if you pay the $50 to have them litigate it they will remove the negative .
    The person who left negative on me had purchased fine nichrome wire .
    this wouldnt have been a problem but he was on the west bank in the middle east . The wire in question could be used to make explosive detonators. My auctions state I will not ship to the middle east for this very reason.
    after a few rude email exchanges . The first was my providing a full refund within an hour of his paymentincluding paypal fees he left negative feedback.
    I attempted to have him remove it and avoid had feeling even went through the resalution system which is when i was informed for the fee the feedback would be removed . 1 negative when recievive 80-100 positives a month isnt that big a deal and Im cheap . Ebay has been good to me a couple hourse a week and two trips to the post office for an income of 4-600 an month isnt bad at all so far my $120 investment has netted over $5800. My trick was to sell alot at a low price most of what I list has a buy it now of $5 with free shipping

19. logbuilder

logbuilder Well-Known Member

Pyro,

Sounds like you are doing a good business on ebay. Good for you. I've always thought that it could be done. Nice to see someone who has pulled it off.

And on wire at that. Could be used for explosives?? And your name.... Humm... like to see things go bang?

Robert

20. PyroDon

I sell different sizes the smallest sizes are used to make model rocket or fireworks ignitors .Actually started because I had bought some to make ignitors. My hobby is professional pyrotechnics , I get paid to shoot fireworks :) 12% of the show cost ,doesnt sound like much unless you figure that most small city displays sell for $20,000 $2400 isnt bad for a days work though its not without its hazards I nearly went up with a $15,000 display on the 4th this year.
    some ended up being 37 miles worth started selling 100ft rolls for $5 and havent gotton through my first spool yet . also sell larger sizes which are used for Kiln repair,eletric heaters, and making glass beads or foam cutters. Ive also sold a rotorary hoe one piece ate a time for garden art gave $17 for it at a farm auction and sell the "sunburst" (hoe wheels) for $15 and up each.
    If you list it right people will buy anything, sold two old hand crank phone generators one brought $30 lists as a generator the other brought $75 as a redneck fish phone. Ive even sold Horse apples and a horse apple tree .
    Biggest trick is to look and see whats selling . make the title show up in as many searches as possible. People sell hatching eggs with mixed results.
    in spring misquito fish sell well you can raise them in wading pools or stock tanks.
    Put some humor in your listings people will pass them on and you'll get more sales.
    Im going to be listing confiscated toys in mixed lots . our house rule is if they dont get put away they are gone , Ive got 4 barrles full so far.