non melting snow

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Tabitha, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqfIC27Rkfs[/ame]
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MENByplHVVc[/ame]

Friend from Michigan just told me this, so I googled it.
    what in blazes. DH just did it. Have fun.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  2. Clod Kicker

Clod Kicker Well-Known Member

A small lighter doesn't produce much heat; the heat is absorbed by the snow ball without melting it in that short period of time. The black deposit is soot from the incomplete combustion due to the flame impinging on the cold surface. Odor is also from incomplete combustion: carbon monoxide has an aldehyde smell, sort of like plastic melting.
    With the larger torch there is enough heat to overcome the heatsink effect and then some, so the snow melts.
    Just don't eat the yellow snow, over where the Huskies go! (Thanx to Frank Zappa)

3. farmerDale

farmerDale Well-Known Member Supporter

Saw some of those videos. All that clod kicker says. Obviously brought to the world by folks who are playing with snow for the first time in their lives.

The water content of snow, is not comparable to ice, it is not very dense. In a foot of snow, there may be an inch equivalent of actual moisture. Try filling a gallon bucket with snow, let it melt in the house, and see how much water comes of it.

People are funny.

4. wdcutrsdaughter

wdcutrsdaughter Well-Known Member

So how do you explain that when I tried it with a snowball here in MA it melted no problem. I used a lighter, just like in the video, and our snow dripped water! no black deposit AT ALL I tried it a few times…all melted!

Also, carbon monoxide, is supposedly colorless, tasteless and odorless…….

5. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

wdcutsdaughter,

Did you do exactly what the guy in the video did?

If you noticed, he held the flame along the side of the snowball, not UNDER it. The majority of the heat would go up along the snowball - which would produce the black soot deposit.

If we truly get snow that doesn't melt, it's going to be awful time for the people with gardens - they will have to shovel the snow off their gardens and wait for the sun to warm up the ground before they can plow or plant. (One good thing if this is true, I won't have to mow the yard this year!!)

Tabitha and farmerDale like this.
  6. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

This is just another example of how many things are faked so much to show something is real on Youtube. with trickery, camera angles, and even hidden obstacles to make it look real.
    The Mythbusters have proved that time and again on their show.

7. Clod Kicker

Clod Kicker Well-Known Member

Snow that doesn't melt... I'm surprised no one has attempted to tie it in with global warming yet. If it were true though, all the farmers would have to build giant cold frames... to grow Snow Peas! :doh:

8. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

Too bad the kids are grown up. DD and niece used to love magic trix. Would be a good one.