Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Black Cat Farm
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The thread about what folks do who don't work got me to thinking, "What things do I enjoy doing that AREN'T homestead-related? And what do others do?" I love working around here, so it's often really hard for me to separate work and play. But there are a few things I do that are really just for fun, with no practical application whatsoever! :D

I collect irises. I love them, they're gorgeous, but useless. (Unless I decide to start selling them, which I am considering as a way to fund my "habit.")
I enjoy taking the horses trail riding and teaching them tricks.
When I have time, I like to read, write, draw, etc.
DH and I both enjoy going for motorcycle rides and going to old car shows.
If I ever had the time and means to do so, I'd like to buy the '69 Camaro Z28 that I keep seeing around town (it's not for sale :Bawling: ) and restore it.

So, what are your non-homestead-y hobbies?

·
Registered
920 Posts
I had to think really hard about this question. The only thing I can think of as being "non-homestead" related would be a small collection I have of pink depression glass pieces and an old tea set collection that I have. I don't have many pieces in either but am constntly looking for more to add as my budget allows and I think it is fun looking. Not sure if that really qualifies for a hobby per say - or maybe something that I am interested in.

·
Milk Maid
2,873 Posts
Reading.
Crafting.
Sewing (or with this be considered homestead-y? What about when I'm sewing toys?)
Firearms (collecting, shooting, etc. What...? The collecting part isn't homestead-y!! :p)
Scrapbooking
MountainMan Rendezvous type of stuff
Card making
Jewelry making
ETA: Woodworking! I cut out country-ish shapes and paint and decorate them to pretty up the house. No practical application whatsoever.. just pure enjoyment :D

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I oil paint and on the weekends I love to play cards, all kinds of card games. I can play a mean game of poker. :p

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I work with hot glass on a small scale. It's called lampworking and the end result are beads of glass, rather large.

I also weave

·
Premium Member
9,245 Posts
Reading comix and manga and watching anime.
Camping and traveling.
Planning future trips.
Used to cook as a hobby, getting away from it because of husband's preference to not have me cook. (And I'm a very good cook! He just is still fighting the battles of his parent's marriage)
I am very interested in history and reenacting, even if I haven't become a reenactor yet. And I love the outdoors, birdwatching, canoing and backpacking.

·
Site Admin's Boss
481 Posts
I make stained glass windows. Lead and copper foil. My DH accuses me of just collecting the glass because I think it's beautiful.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Most of my hobbies could be homesteading but most of the time I do them for fun...and work

Patnewmex... I'm a lampwork artist as well... it's my occupation
sewing
reading
cooking
shopping...I love to shop. I don't have a lot of $$$ so it's mostly window shopping but I do get lots of ideas that I can come home and make...

Suzi

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
Non-homestead related... I study south Pacific marine biology. Corals and fish from that region, on the other side of our great blue planet, are something I will never see in person - I'm not a traveling man. I'm fascinated by them and it's my way of going to the beach. What does that entail? Studying their habitat, chemistry, biology, behaviors and trying to recreate their habitat in glass boxes - e.g., aquariums. :)

Cheers

-Walter
Sugar Mountain Farm
in the mountains of Vermont
http://SugarMtnFarm.com/blog/
http://HollyGraphicArt.com/
http://NoNAIS.org

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Mrs. RockinB and I ride a Harley whenever we can.
She is very crafts oriented and makes all things crafty.

I was into custom rifles pretty seriously but don't have much time for it anymore. Other than riding the Harley, I enjoy the projects around the homestead.

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
I have lots of hobbies some are homesteady--quilting, sewing, weaving,spinning, knitting. I collect small emanelware teapots, dishes, (50's)cooking and kitchen utensils, and crystal/glasswear and have several collections of things. It's fun to go to the junk/antique stores with 20$ and see what I can find. I set a limit as to what I can spend and try to stay under budget..

·
Premium Member
9,235 Posts
The horses I consider homestead/farm related ...

Otherwise:

Reading ... have about as many books on my home bookshelves as I can find room for and usually manage at least two trips a month to the library.

Artwork ... do pencil studies of various things, lots of animals and a lot of old buildings and "nostalgia" type things. Used to go to some local art/craft shows and also try to visit art galleries anytime I was in town as well, but don't do it often here now that I'm in Kentucky. Almost all of the art/craft shows here and the "local" art galleries are mostly craft-oriented rather than paintings and sculpture.

·
bunny slave
4,389 Posts
Athletic stuff mostly - running, triathlons and mountain-climbing.

I also stitch a fair amount - cross-stitch and needlepoint, plus I'm teaching myself to quilt - and I don't know how "homestead-related" that stuff is because I'm mostly just making things that are pretty rather than functional.

·
Homestead Dreamer
878 Posts
play music and sing, read, cook, photography...everything else would seem too homestead-y.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I am really bad about buying anything that has Wolves or just a wolf on it, although I
havent bought anything in 3 years. But have been given things. I still have all of my wolf stuff in boxes and boxes from my move 3 years ago from Wa, to Mo.,paula

1 - 20 of 27 Posts