Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Can't find bacon seeds
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well many people homeschool and would not be tapping into the public school circle for friends.... and some people do not go to church (or are not religious) or take their time to find a good fitting one (or do not like the ones close by). And what if you don't play any sports let alone don't like to watch them? :eek:

So if you are rural and not in the public schools and not a part of the local churches... how do you make friends and contacts in your community? Alot of the suggestions I have seen revolve around church, public school and public school sports games. And yes I realize those are three suggestions that apply to anywhere of any size too. ;)

Have you BTDT? What did you do?

·
Gefion's Plow
325 Posts
For a while I lived in a small town, and though not religious I basically only met people through the church. I'm not outgoing so I find ways to make people come to me, and if I'd been around longer it could've worked. Other way is going on dating sites and saying you're just looking for friends. Find any sort of volunteer opportunity. I've met some people through volunteering at the park, and they tend to like the outdoors and be environmentally conscious so it was a good choice.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Park
Town Events
Local swimming Pool/place
Grocery Store
Shopping Mall/store/Wal Marts Etc
Yard sales(met my GF of 3 1/2 years this way)
Flea Market/Farmers Market
Hanging out where people are hanging out, You do not have to like sports to go to sporting events. I went to foot ball games for a long time when I was young just to talk with friends---never knew what was happening on the field or the score.

Ok well many people homeschool and would not be tapping into the public school circle for friends.... and some people do not go to church (or are not religious) or take their time to find a good fitting one (or do not like the ones close by). And what if you don't play any sports let alone don't like to watch them? :eek:

So if you are rural and not in the public schools and not a part of the local churches... how do you make friends and contacts in your community? Alot of the suggestions I have seen revolve around church, public school and public school sports games. And yes I realize those are three suggestions that apply to anywhere of any size too. ;)

Have you BTDT? What did you do?

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
We had some folks move in down the road a few years ago. They had a pig roast and invited the neighborhood.

·
Premium Member
2,807 Posts
As my wife did many years ago - go to town/village/local board meetings, not to necessarily to express views but just to see who and how the town/village/local boards are run.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
4-H. It's not terrific everywhere, but it sure is here. We've made lifelong friends.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
volunteer anywhere: at seniors centres, kids programs, community events, library...
home school association - if there isn't a local one, start one
go to community events

·
Shut the front door!
15,001 Posts
Take a few classes at your local Extension.
4-H (either participate, or volunteer)
Library programs, sign up for one.

·
Super Moderator
9,755 Posts
find one or two local homeschoolers (school age kids at the library during the school day is a huge tip off), find out if they are in a group and see if you can go to one of their events. we joined a couple of homeschool groups last year when we started homeschooling... one didnt work out and the other one has been invaluable. also scouts... we saw a number of our homeschooling friends at a recent larger scale cubscout event. and 4-H, ours is great we have met some homeschoolers and we have met lots of other people across the county. and check your newpaper for other clubs of interest, ie garden club, lego club, quilt guilds.

·
Premium Member
3,126 Posts
Its hard - very hard. We still struggle with the challenge. We did some of the things already mentioned but also we visit our small public library a lot and meet people there. And at a little "dry goods" store in our town, people stand around and "visit" and drink a soda - so that is another way.

Ask your neighbors for suggestions too. They might be able to introduce you.

I worried a lot about our families "alone time" and especially worried about my children (who did Homeschool but since our family is secular, we had fewer groups to meet with).......but now my boys are older and they tell me the time they spent "alone" was valuable time for them to think, grow up, stay away from "trouble" and they did so many "projects" and worked together with each other (3 boys) that their relationships with each other and the family is today very strong and firm. They are also very secure boys/young men and less prone to peer pressure.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Find groups for whatever hobbies/interests you have. It may only meet once a month, but its a start. After you meet the people, you can get together as you wish.

·
CF, Classroom & Books Mod
9,934 Posts
Volunteering helped us to get involved in our tiny rural village. We've met a lot of good friends that way. Contact the local village office, etc., and ask about volunteering opportunities in the area. If your community has a community development officer, talk to them.

There are a lot of volunteering opportunities in small communities.

·
Trainer of kids, dogs and horses...fears nothing
8,598 Posts
Don't forget the local watering hole.
This was going to be my suggestion.

We've always lived by REALLY small towns, which means the local bar is family-friendly. In truly small towns, the local bar is the official community gathering spot.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Join the local volunteer fire department. Ours has some really good folks, plus you meet other people from nearby fire departments when you get a mutual aid call.

·
Can't find bacon seeds
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
All good ideas!!! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
4H, my kids are still friends with the kids they spent all that time at fair with. They also played school sports - our state allows it if its okay with the district. Not sure why you wouldn't want to make use of any resource available to you. Our small town library (1700 people, more in the outlying areas) had (has) a good summer reading program, kids made friends there. No homeschooling group so we started one - secular and low key, mostly used as a curriculum swap/ play date thing. Heck, we don't go to church, but the kids still went to VBS, loved it.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts