Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we are going through the organic certification we cannot use standard wormers.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with natural remedies such as garlic, pumpkin etc, how do you feed it to them - chuck it in or mix with grain?

Our ewes are grass and hay fed unless just about to lamb and just after lambing and its put on the ground for them to forage as they live out all year with just a shelter. So I cannot easily feed individual rations unless one is sick.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,661 Posts
well, if you find a good solution please share it! I'd love to go all organic, especially with wormers.

This last year we used an herbal based wormer - vermitox - but the big big problem is that you need to drench the sheep for 7 consecutive days. When we got hit with a severe parasite load post-flooding and then heat wave we just could not bring ourselves to do this drenching schedule every 10 days, for 3 rounds. So we reached for conventional wormers and got the job done with a lot less stress for all animals and humans involved.

Drenching the goats - easy enough. Repeat drenching of sheep - too much work.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I thought Ivermectin was okayed for organic?

Key would be to start with healthy sheep and have enough pasture to rotate and keep them free of parasites. Then cull those ewes who struggle. Invest in a good microscope so you can do your own fecal flotations as often as you want. You can isolate ewes and check each one as an individual rather than testing one sample and thinking it's a good rep of the whole flock.

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
You can grow your own. There are plants that will grow in your pasture that are antiparasitic. I used to be intense about getting the milkweed out of my pasture until I realized nobody was eating it. They'll nibble on it now and then. Your extension office can probably help you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for all the advice. I shall def give it a go. When I spoke about Ivermectin the organic inspector nearly passed out so I am working on the assumption that its a last case thing!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts