Noisy Transmission

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Rob30, May 17, 2006.

1. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a 95 Cavalier with a 2.2L and manual transmission. The tranny is rumbling where the driverside axle inserts.
    I think it might be a bearing inside. Any ideas? Can I fix without removing the tranny? Any liquid fixes?
    I ran some fluid in it that was a little thick, I think that cooked a bearing.

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

If you can find an abandoned large parking lot with smooth pavement take the car for a drive there. Slowly drive the vehicle in a clockwise and then a counter clockwise circle while all the time listening for the bearing noise. IMO the noise is a wheel bearing as they are much more likely to fail. For example if you hear the noise accentuated as you turn clockwise the left front wheel bearing is the culprit. Observe the boots on the joints in each axle. A ripped boot will lead to a failed constant velocity joint and these joint can make a terrible noise.

3. myrandaandkids

myrandaandkids Well-Known Member

afmantoo is probably right, my hubby is a 20 year veteran mechanic, and says a wheel bearing noise is more prevalent in that vehicle than a tranny problem.

4. Rob30

I went under the car and turned the axle by hand. I could here a clicking sound in the tranny. When the car is driving the sound gets louder, turning into a rumble.
    I am going to change the fluid and see if it helps. I know the fluid in it is thicker than it is supposed to be.

5. agmantoo

Clicking is usually the constant velocity joint. Does it click in reverse?

6. Rob30

When working on the tranny the cv boot strap came off and the cv seperated> I put it back together and put a large clamp around it. It was all I had at the time.
    That said, when under the car, I am sure the clicking was coming from just inside the tranny. Right where the axle enters the tranny.

7. agmantoo

The strap does not hold the cv joint together. If the cv separated you have problems with it. The axle is held in place in the transmission on most of these vehicles with a spring clip affair. Maybe the axle is too far into the transmission as a result of the CV joint coming apart. Beeman will know when he gets here.