No Way

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mberryrfd, May 1, 2006.

1. mberryrfd

mberryrfd Well-Known Member

Yesterday I was putting up some new no climb fence that is 5ft tall no sooner than when I was done one of my boer does would walk up to it then start to back up and back and back she went.then she would stop and do it again.
    I thought see I got you ( she is our escape artist ) no sooner than when I went in the house looked out the window and gosh darnit she was outts tha goat pen. I was thinking there is no way she jumped that.
    but i didnt see any other way for to get out on that side

2. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

You should try running hotwire along the bottom and the top. Then after they learn not to jump the fence, you can take it down. You may even be able to borrow a fence charger for a week or so.

3. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

I agree with the hotwire, it works wonders. By the way, how big is your boer doe, I couldn't imagine one of ours jumping 5 feet, then again ours are pretty lazy. Good Luck with keeping your doe in her pen. Bye.

4. mberryrfd

mberryrfd Well-Known Member

The doe is on the small size in my opinion but they are still young 11 monthes at this time. This particular one is 98 %. and hasnt been bred
    I have a charger I will have to see if it is big enough for the job

5. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

See, I thought for a moment that you were talking about a full-grown boer, of course it was kinda funny to imagine what it would look like if our doe, Queenie, tried to jump 5 feet, she is a 300 pound heavy-weight that is 6 years old. LOL. See ya. Bye.

6. kidsngarden

kidsngarden Well-Known Member

We have just electric with no other fencing and darn it if they haven't figured ouhow to get under it. It seems like if it just hits their back they don't care. We will put up field fencing too.

kids

7. stacygoats

stacygoats Well-Known Member

I've got electric on most of my pens, but I've got one Boer doe that can find the spot without and jump over. This doe is just turning a year old, but she's kind of plump. Could not figure out how she got through the field fence, thought for sure she found a spot at the bottom to push up, but checked and everything was staked down tight.
    Then I watched the next time, how gracefully she flew over the top with a good running start, never even nicked the top @ 48 inches. So there are Boers that can really jump!

8. rainedaze

rainedaze Well-Known Member

I had a boer wether that could jump anything that my husband put up. My husband decided that he could feed up this winter instead of us feeding him. All my girls are escape artists too. This afternoon I went to go pick up my daughter and the girls came running to me. Ugh...My husband took off a day of work to repair the fence, thought that it was all repaired. I am thinking that we missed something. Don't feel too bad. You are not alone. Good luck!!