No tomato plants

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by TnMtngirl, Apr 18, 2006.

1. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Not one of the seeds I planted came up. Took the pots and emptyed them in a flower bed.Maybe I will get lucky and one will suprise me.Guess I shouldnt have used miricle grow soil.The seed I found already sprouted in a tomato is doing well its about 5 inches high now.

2. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

Where did you get your seeds? I had germination problems this year.

3. Outlaw9

Outlaw9 GO VOLS!!!!

Man mine did great i set them out side in a tray and a cold night got some of them but all mine came up within a week. Used a heat pad and wally wold greanhouse.

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

I achieved virtually 100% on my tomatoes this year using bottom heat, cell packs, and some media that one of my local garden centers uses for their plants.

.....Alan.

5. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

What process did you use? I have had excellent luck with the Mini-Greenhouse systems. They are very affordable and reusable even though you could make your own with existing materials.

6. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

i got 100% germ from no special treatment at all.

my guess is your soil was too wet and your seeds rotted.

7. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

To get a GUARANTEED sprouting, look at Mel Bartholomew's site: Sq. Ft. Gardening...
    http://www.squarefootgardening.com

With his garden soil mix, AND using vermeculite poked in the hole w/seed... works every time! Even if you have a big garden, you can use the vermeculite in hole w/seed. Check it out.

8. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

am i the only one that thinks that if you need to buy every gadget and specialized soil there is just to grow something, you should just let someone else do the growing and pay a fraction for the finished product as you would have after buying all the stuff to grow it?

9. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on whether you enjoy it or not. Plus you still know what is in it and how it was grown. I do agree with you in part, Paranoid, but dont think it is quite that clearcut.

10. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

This year I bought two of those Jiffy Pot kits and about half my tomatoes came up. Won't be using those things again! I've never had so few seeds sprout.

:shrug:

11. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

My first round ALL sprouted....and dies at 4 weeks of age!?! my second round (same seed packets!) is doing great.

12. hengal

hengal Well-Known Member

Loads of tomatoes here. Started them all in soiless mix under a heating pad - 100%.

13. Honorine

Honorine Carpe Vinum Supporter

Could be the Miracle Grow soil, have heard on many forums of folks having problems with it, sorry about your 'matos

14. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

I wont be using Miricle grow potting soil to start seeds in again.I usually sprout them on a paper towel and then plant.just didnt do it right.No problem I have a friend who has 3 green houses.I am sure to get more plants than I can use from her.Its to early to put them in the garden will wait till the middle of may.

15. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

My tomato seeds took forever to come up - 2.5 weeks - but every single one did. The peppers took an extra week after that. I guess it wasn't warm enough in my sunporch with no extra heating. But now I have 25 tomato plants and 10 peppers, and still not a single shovelful of sod broken. :) Lotsa work cut out for me!

I don't do anything special either. I just use ordinary potting soil (I think the soil I bought this year had added fertilizer, but it wasn't Miracle Gro) in newspaper pots all tucked inside dishpans and bottom-watered. Easy enough.

16. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

Instead of buying an electric heat source, I use the most inefficient electrical gadget in my house. The top of the refrigerator. It's always warm on top 24/7