No tilling

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Rob30, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

Does any one know how to utilize a conventional corn seeder for no tilling. I am looking at some old seeders, but I want to know if I can convert it to no till. Do I have to buy a kit, or can I make to parts needed?

2. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

To convert a standard planter to no-till you would probably need a coulter to cut through any stubble, and possibly trash movers mounted on each side to prevent the shoe or opener from clogging. You might also need down pressure in order to force the coulter through the trash.

Yetter makes the trash movers, possibly the coulters too.

Buffalo Mfg. out of Nebraska used to make a no-till planter that used coulters only. Not a bad unit, but there are better. They have been around a long time so a used one might not be too hard to find. They were set up as individual units so you could use however many you wanted to on your tool bar.

http://www.yetterco.com/

3. dla

dla Well-Known Member

Shucks, everybody here in Maryland does no-till corn. It all looks like a standard tiller to me, but I'll ask around...

4. tooltime

tooltime Border Ruffian

Rob,
    Do you mean a grain drill or corn planter. Some of the old grain drills could be used for row crop by plugging some of the seed tubes, but you had problems with seed application.

It also depends on what you're following, meaning what was planted last year on the land liyou're trying to no-till. If it's soybean stubble, you might be able to get by with a conventional planter. It's toughest planting on corn-stubble, and sufficient down-pressure is going to be a challenge. A lot of the new no-till planters basically strip till in front of the openers.

5. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

I need to do more research on the subject. I have never seen a no till, and I am not a professional with conventional seeders. I will be planting in corn stuble, as well as in old pasture.