No tax homestead?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ozarkguy, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Ozarkguy

Ozarkguy Well-Known Member

does anyone know if I build with those skids up on a cement slab, or even cinder blocks, but it's not permanantly attached to same, is the dwelling taxable or not?

Thanks for any input on this. :)

gotta love those hills.....

Ozarkguy

2. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

theres a size limit, i assume youre in stone or taney co .
    i dotn know off hand what the size is ..... but , call taney county assessors office, and they will help you out, i think youre talking too big
    i also know it can have electrical , and still be considered a "portable " building , but if it has water or plumbing its not ...

im sorry, i wish i knew what the exact sizes were, but i dont off hand
    i do know the tax rate here is like 1/5th the assessed value, and then based off that, so a 50k property is assessed at 10k , and the percentage off that is like 150.00 or so ..... its not that much ...

3. peanutgreen

peanutgreen Well-Known Member

Have you thought about a yurt?

4. Ozarkguy

Ozarkguy Well-Known Member

Yes, I looked into yurts a while back. First off, they seemed costly to me. I could build or even buy something cheaper than the ones I looked at.

Also, (and more importantly), they didn't seem predator proof to me. I'm quite remote where I'm at. I'll also be there for good this time next year, and so it's not like camping. No matter how careful I am, there will be the smell of food and livestock around. About a month ago I was within 15 feet of a cougar, and there's plenty of bear tracks and scat down by the water's edge. And that's just the critters I know of. Who know what else is out there? So I think I want WALLS around me. ;)

Ozarkguy

5. Guest Too

Guest Too Active Member

OKLAHOMA...where the wind comes sweeping down the
    The Tax man here taxes portable buildings. :( I asked specifically after seeing pictures of some little metal buidlings you buy from Sears/etc. on the tax rolls. They said any structure was taxed. I have no idea about it, but I intend to ask a lot of questions before they revalue my place in 4 years. I'm in Oklahoma.

6. bergere

bergere Just living Life

I know you would like to build yourself. But because I can't, I did saved up and buy two Heartland sheds. Nice and sturdy, also had them built under the moveable shed rule, so they would not be taxed. Our non taxable size here is 12 by 12' or smaller.
    Which is a good thing since taxes are so high here.

Now I am wondering about the size we can build down in Columbia county Oregon??

7. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

Live in a Cave!:haha:

8. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Another benefit is that you can easily rid yourself of telemarketers touting siding.

9. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

How about a 'stealth straw bale' home? Out west I've seen lots of structures that are basically a pole barn without walls. Like a carport for hay. Then the bales are stacked under the roof. You could put down pallets and lay osb over them for a floor and foundation. Stack the bales, leaving a space in the center. Even plaster the inside. If you put some greenhouse panels for part of the roof you would have light. Drape a tarp over the sides, that would cover your door so casual observers wouldn't know it is a door. (OK, this isn't MY idea, someone else thought of it and I saw it in a book),